new keeper in MA: mypetchicken OR meyers hatchery?

peg in MA

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2018
Good morning, all! We have been planning to get some hens since we bought our single family house last january. my wife and i have a 7 year old boy & 9 hear old girl and we are all so excited to start our flock this april.

i have been working hard, reading and researching and planning the coop & run. the coop will be 4x5 with 3 nest boxes for 6 hens. i am building a walk in run that is 8x10. the hens will also have a portable fenced area they can wander around in when we are home, which is most of the time.

big question at the moment: i ordered 6 hens from mypetchicken.com but now i am freaking about about some highly negative yelp reviews i just stumbled upon on yelp. has anyone had recent experience with them? should i cancel my order and order from meyer's hatchery? meyer's does not have ameraucanas but i can live with that. i also ordered a barred Plymouth Rock, Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Buff Brahma, & a Lavender Orpington.

please advise, thank you so much!!
peg

Honestly.. I’ve never used Meyer, but I’ve heard wonderful things. I’ve used mypetchicken and I recieved gorgeous birds all correctly sexed and no surprise chickens. They grew well, a couple of them were and still are kinda skiddish compared to the birds I’ve gotten from tractor supply. I also found that the shipping was absolutely ridiculous, I spent $85+ dollars for five chicks, and only three are still alive. But I mean if you don’t care about the crazy prices I’d stick with MPC. Again I’ve heard all good things about Meyer, but I’ve never used them so I can’t say for sure.
I have used cackle hatchery however, and they were great! I didn’t order chickens from them, though.

But, if your are okay taking a risk of not getting the exact breeds you’d like, I wait for chick days at tractor supply and go there. All the birds I’ve gotten there are super friendly, and fantastic layers. It also didn’t cost almost $100. Plus you said you’re in MA so the chick minimum will be 6, which is what you want.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.... I had a thought out response at first... then I started to ramble. Lol

People are more inclined to leave negative reviews than positive ones. What I mean is, for every negative review there are likely way more positive experiences that no one bothered to leave a review. I tend to not believe online reviews so much and just form my own opinion from my own experience. I ordered roughly 20 chicks from Meyer Hatchery. Just got the brown egg layer assortment. All survived and arrived on time. Pretty uneventful experience. But I guess that's good news when live animals are involved.

I personally love MYP And wouldn't use any other hatchery. MYP has an amazing variety of chickens that sell for great prices, Another thing that most hatcheries don't do is that they sell bantams sexed as well, The service there is great if you ever have a question and everyone seems friendly. I've also heard that Mpc has a No-killing rule, So Instead of throwing unwanted cockerels alive in a meat grinder like other hatcheries Mypetchicken sells them to the Amish. I ordered 60 chicks in November and 62 came november the 14th, All healthy and had no problems. I would definitely recommend Mypetchicken if you're were to order chicks online.

Back
Top Bottom