New Keets!!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by ColbyNTX, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I was driving around this spring and saw a home that had a huge chicken coop and I saw some guineas. I stopped and asked if they had eggs and the lady told me yes but the hens were sitting on them and to come back in a few weeks. I dropped back by about six weeks later and she told me to hold on, she came back with 50 eggs. I asked how much do you want for them and she said take them. I didn't go to her coop because I was in the shade with her husband cursing the heat and the drought! I asked what color guineas she had and she said "the regular kind." I drove the eggs 100 miles to my house and popped them into the bator and they started hatching yesterday, 1 week early. It has been 95-100 deg here for a month si I guess they started incubating on the ground and in nests. I was happy to see that hardly any of the 10 or so that hatched so far are not pearl gray! I think this is a pied and will be solid(except for the pied) because it has no stripes. What do yall think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

personally, I think it's adorable! [​IMG]

3. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Unbelievably cute! What a great story. Congratulations!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    AWE! Those keets are a ALOT cuter then my keets when they were tiny!

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    What do I think? I think you should send me that keet immediately! [​IMG]

I keep telling myself that I like having pearls because they can hide themselves from predators better than the lighter colored guineas, but those multi-colored and lighter colored keets are just so darned cute. Sigh...

Edited: because I left out part of a sentence.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    He is not the only one like that. Most of them have some other markings that look different than the pearl gray. I have to go by the peoples house where I got them from next week. I will stop and take a look in their coop to see what all colors they have. I can't really match any of them up to the couple of color charts I use. Time will tell.

7. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
  8. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have hatched several royal purples in the past and they do look different. This keet in the pic has no stripes! So I know he will be a solid color and I think pied.

9. thechickenguy

thechickenguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    woodsfield ohio 43793
    Quote:oh ok. i didnt c tht.

10. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Hey Colby how did your keets end up feathering out so far?? I picked up a couple that look just like the pics you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by