New Khaki Campbell owner... Questions to ask!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hatatat, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hatatat

hatatat New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    About three weeks ago, I purchased 2 Khaki Campbell ducklings. My ducklings still seem to be EXTREMELY standoffish. A) Any idea why? They have not yet taken to the offering of other snacks just yet, and I have been told the greatest way to win their heart is snacks and food. I am not completely positive of their age, but I can see their feathers are just beginning to come in. B) Is this breed prone to separation anxiety, considering we had bought them together? And lastly, I do know from other friend duck owners, that this breed doesn't "need" a pond or such, except the occasional bath time or playtime. I have placed a large water bowl to the corner of the cage for watering, but it seems to have become more of a place to run into and run out of as play. I have also built a 3' x 2' cage for sleeping, (as for in the future, we hope to only have one khaki pet, as the other may go to a different home). We are in high hopes of having our khaki as a regular house pet. C) What are our best options to achieve this goal?

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]I think it takes time. If you had hatched them in a incubator, they would have probably fixed on you as their mama.

4. hatatat

hatatat New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Thank you! I'll definitely try posting there.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings form Kansas, hatatat, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! Good luck to you and your birds!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1). It's normal. Ducks in general can be extremely standoffish. They will warm up in time.

2) No they are not prone to it.

3) Don't keep the small waterer in there at all times. They can get stuck or get chilled which can be fatal

4) They still need at swimming often to keep their feathers in the best shape

5) [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    some people just get them a little kiddie pool. As to rehoming one of the two ducks - ducks really need another or more for company. A duck as a housepet can be pretty messy. They do sell diapers for them but, it would still be alot of work to deal with.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by