New Kharki Campbell ducks

ozbird

Hatching
Jan 7, 2017
Lewiston SA 5501 Australia
5 hatched yesterday. Patents in secure coop. Should the male be removed? Should we put Duck Starter food in there for them and if so how do we stop parents eating it? Also how do they get water? Parents have a large 40cm wide by 15cm deep bowl and have put smaller flat water dish 30cm by 6cm for youngsters.

5 hatched yesterday. Patents in secure coop. Should the male be removed? Should we put Duck Starter food in there for them and if so how do we stop parents eating it? Also how do they get water? Parents have a large 40cm wide by 15cm deep bowl and have put smaller flat water dish 30cm by 6cm for youngsters.
welcome-byc.gif
I would watch the male closely just to see how he is behaving. My drakes have never bothered babies. The moms do a good job at protecting them. I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all of mine from just hatched to adults. If you don't feed something with Niacin you would need to supplement it. It is ok for the adults to eat a starter while the chicks are growing. Make sure the babies cannot get in the water; they can drown. Smaller flat water dish is great for the little ones. They will learn how to eat and drink from seeing the mama. Congratulations on your new little ones
big_smile.png
Be sure to join us over on the duck thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737292/the-duck-thread

:welcome I would watch the male closely just to see how he is behaving.  My drakes have never bothered babies.  The moms do a good job at protecting them.  I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all of mine from just hatched to adults.  If you don't feed something with Niacin you would need to supplement it.  It is ok for the adults to eat a starter while the chicks are growing.  Make sure the babies cannot get in the water; they can drown.  Smaller flat water dish is great for the little ones. They will learn how to eat and drink from seeing the mama.  Congratulations on your new little ones:D   Be sure to join us over on the duck thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/737292/the-duck-thread

Thanks. 8 this morning and have done what you suggested. They are all in a pen 2m by 5m and keep the door shut.

We also have about 300 chickens hatched between September and last week plus 3 geese. We have 3 144 egg incubators and breed and raise who was and breeding birds. The chickens all have secure pens and runs.

We do not have any snow and winter temperatures can drop to 10 Celsius but we are having 30 to 42 degree days now so everything is lightly sprayed up to hourly if necessary.

We took the original 6 eggs away from the ducks and put them in the incubator but only hatched 2 3 months ago and another 2 about a month ago. These 4 are penned on our stage 2 shed and our dilemma is when to shift these are where to.

Thanks. 8 this morning and have done what you suggested. They are all in a pen 2m by 5m and keep the door shut.

We also have about 300 chickens hatched between September and last week plus 3 geese. We have 3 144 egg incubators and breed and raise who was and breeding birds. The chickens all have secure pens and runs.

We do not have any snow and winter temperatures can drop to 10 Celsius but we are having 30 to 42 degree days now so everything is lightly sprayed up to hourly if necessary.

We took the original 6 eggs away from the ducks and put them in the incubator but only hatched 2 3 months ago and another 2 about a month ago. These 4 are penned on our stage 2 shed and our dilemma is when to shift these are where to.
@Ren2014

I try to wait until young ones are close to the same size as the others before putting them in with them. I make sure they are able to see the others and vice versa with just a wire fence between them for a week or so before fully introducing them. They will form their own little bonds and groups once they are all together. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom