New Kid...

RachelM

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Hi there!

I'm Rachel from Thorold, ON, CAN. I live on a little farm, and right now we only have horses and a herd of barn cats. I've been trying for years to convince my parents to get some birds, and it finally might be happening (Although the "Finally its happening stage" has happened before without any actual progress
roll.png
). I love most birds, and have a special fondness for ducks. I'm hoping we can get some space going to raise a few chickens, ducks, turkeys, and possibly some geese, guinea fowl and rabbits. My parent's (Old man especially) are getting more on board with the idea since food prices having been skyrocketing (Some weeks, a whole tiny chicken is $20
hmm.png
). I love learning all I can about birds, domesticated and wild, and hope that I can learn a few tricks here on BYC
big_smile.png

A little more on me...
I'll be heading off to college in a year (extra year of high school, thanks to my ability to make decisions only AFTER the application dates pass), and I'm hoping to go to Ridgetown for Agriculture & Horticulture. I want to make a career out of raising animals for meat in a sustainable way. I prefer to be eco-friendly, but I'm not die-hard no-chemicals-within-100 mile-radius. i.e. When I asked my feed dealer about feed for birds, he recommended medicated turkey feed for the first weeks because "If you look at them wrong, they'll fall over and die". I enjoy photography, horseback riding, fishing, and birdwatching. I was cadet for 6 years (I think in America that's JROTC), and was in the band and captain of the rifle team. I love music, and have learned both bagpipes and oboe.

WELCOME! Nice job working on the parents to get them on board!! When I finally had time to start building my coop, I was in high school, and my parents weren't so hot with the idea of messing with the chickens when I left for college...I was so bummed out! Things are looking up again my husband and I will be able to get a place where we can finally get some chickens! It's only going to take me about 9-10 years to get them since I tried last time
wink.png

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. You'll love having chickens, ducks, etc. But be warned they're very addictive
wink.png
Btw, I was a band geek in elementary & high school, too
big_smile.png
I played flute in concert band & piccolo in marching band for years. Tried the oboe for about a month during concert season one year, but I went back to the flute because I missed it too much
big_smile.png
Good luck with your birds
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom