New Kittens and Dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by annanicole18, Dec 23, 2009.

1. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    My hubby broke down and got me a kitten and according to him he got my kitten a kitten but he gets to name the torti. [​IMG] Background on them. Don't know how old but the fire chiefs wife has weaned them and they are eating very well on dry food. They were outdoors with momma never been inside. I instantly wanted the torti but was considering the cream with blue eyes. Well i ended up with the cream and my hubby said yes we need two so they play together.
    We brought them home let them get used to the house a bit (they were outdoor kittens) then brought our Tulie in to meet them. She did well very nervous don't think she has ever had much cat interaction especially since we got her since these are our first cats. My cream kitten hissed at the dog and at me when i went to pick the kitten up. (Dog was on a leash) Well the torti loved the dog and was rubbing on her and letting her lick her to no end. Put dog one away enter dog two.... Torti again loved dog two and the cream went so far as to lash out at the second dog. Its been about an hour and a half and the cream is still very defensive not only at the dogs but at me too! How long should i let them adapt? I can go exchange the cream and tell them a home with no large dogs would prolly be ideal (original owners have 5 toy poodles) or i can take the cream back and just keep the torti. What would be best? I don't want to keep the cream away from momma and the other 2 kittens for too long if its just not going to work out.
    I have never had a cat so this is a totally new experience for me. I want a nice friendly cat that isn't constantly hiding and that may even play with my dog. Would i be better off with one or two? Thanks in advance i just am clueless on what would be best since i have never owned a cat but have been around quite a few

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

As long as your dog isn't trying to chase or scare them, I would just let him/her adjust and they should be fine! The dog will learn who to mess with and who NOT to mess with [​IMG]

3. coopgirl

coopgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Jesup, GA
    I would just let them be. As a rescuer of big breed dogs, and the owner of several cats, it always takes a few days for them to warm up to each other. As soon as the kitten realizes the dog is not going to EAT her, they will usually become best buds! In my personal opinion, I always tell people to get two kittens instead of one. They can take care of each other when you are not home and once the shyer one sees the friendlier one getting all the lovin' shy kitty will warm up to you too! Best of luck!

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    She may just be adjusting slower. Just give her a little time. [​IMG]

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It's normal for them to act defensive around the dog. Give it time. Use a baby gate for a while with the dogs one side and the kittens on the other. That way they can see and sniff them and feel safe. Before you know it they will all be playing together.

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Cats vary widely when it come to adjusting. My current cat is cool with whatever happens, but a cat I had growing up would take 4-6 weeks before fully adjusting to anything new (moving, etc). Your cream kitten will be fine...don't worry. [​IMG]

7. annanicole18

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    thanks everyone. the cream one seems to be warming up to me trying to play with my fingers and of course the torti is a doll purring whenever i pick her up. i haven't reintroduced the dogs since i got home from work but will let them have a quick visit before i leave. any tips on teaching them to use a litter box? they haven't gone potty yet so i can't put their potty in there. momma cat taught them to go in the mulch in the flower bed in front of the porch they were on. i have gotten some pictures so i will add them after finishing my christmas shopping.

8. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I litter train mine in the bathroom. Put them in the bathroom or another small room with the litterbox. I usually set them inside of the box a couple of times. If they have an accident on the floor pick it up and put it inside of the litterbox. They catch on pretty quick. The litterbox needs to be kept in an area where they feel safe and is close to where they will spend most of their time so they will use it until they get older.

9. annanicole18

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    i have had them since around 2 this afternoon they haven't pottyed yet how often do kittens potty?

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I kept my kittens in the bathroom with a litterbox on one side and their food and water dishes on the other. Kittens will just about litterbox train themselves. I kept my kittens there until they figured out how to climb over the baby gate. By that time they were litterbox trained and we had no problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by