New Ladies and Gent !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybird12, Aug 17, 2010.

1. ladybird12

ladybird12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    My friend is getting rid of her three hens so I am having them [​IMG] I am going to introduce them to my ladies and Mr tonight once mine are in their coop will tis be okay they are all the same age ? also she has bantam young chicken just started crowing so as I have three bantam young ladies the same age I thought I would introduce him the same time in their Ark am I doing the right thing would appreciate some advice ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You should quarantine the new birds for a month before introductions are made to prevent any illnesses from infecting your flock. After that a slow introduction will ensure everyone stays safe while integrating the 2 flocks. And then you'll have a whole new flock with a whole new dynamic.

Have fun and good luck.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Agreed with CMV! Biosecurity is a BIG deal. Check them over real well at first too. Look for crawly things under the wings, check their vents for lice eggs or any other obvious problems. You can dust them when you pick them up and bugs will be dead within a few hours. I know that many people say "I know the flock, I know they don't have anything" and that may be true....but keep in mind that every single one of us are surprised when an illness or parasite pops up. It can happen at any time. You can chose to not quarantine, but keep in mind the risks if you do.

Its also helpful if they can see each other but not mingle at first, that gives them time to get used to each other before they actually share the same space. Then when you do mix them, sneak the new guys onto the roost after bedtime. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by