1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New lady introduced

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachelb, May 3, 2008.

1. rachelb

rachelb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Hi. I have just been given a new partridge wyandotte crossed with a gold brahma who is about 9 months old. I have put her in with my two orpingtons who are 22 months old and they are really quite cross about the whole idea and making a right old noise. They are pushing her into the corner of the run and giving her a peck but she appears quite feisty and when she has had enough disappears into the coop and comes out a little later to try again. I am sure this is natural behaviour when a new lady enters a flock, but is there anything I can do to ensure that nobody is hurt and the process of accepting her is quick and relatively harmless? :|

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't know but I hope someone can help you out. I'm sure I will be in the same boat next year when I expand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by