New landlord & I've got a backyard farm!

GD91

Songster
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
UK
OK we've lived in our 1 bed flat for 2 years. The flat has a medium shared garden with our neighbour who is friendly.

But now my dh wants to move to another flat which is bigger, better & has a bathtub (only got a walk in shower here) with an unshared garden.

My issue is this has come completely out of the blue because its his friends old flat we are supposed to be moving to in about 2 WEEKS!

We haven’t even met the landlord (but we have spoken to him over the phone) but we know he wants to know EVERYTHING.

Our current landlord, we have no contact with whatsoever hardly, he’s a pain to get to carry out any repairs properly or at all but at least he LEAVES US ALONE.

My dh is complaining about the landlord being put of by our:

2 dogs
1 cat
7 chickens (including roosters)
2 meat rabbits
11ish quail in the inky.

Thing is I know hes right although we can afford to pay upto 5 months rent in advance or pay a larger deposit. Our neighbor can verify the flat is falling apart thanks to the landlord, not us because his flat is the same & he can also thumbs up the animals which he enjoys on his doorstep.

I said all we can do is keep everything spotless, get rid of our only crowing roo & pray. The thing is our animals have full garden access currently (i wouldnt be against pens though) and i worked so hard on my coop and everything :(

This flats much nicer yes, but Ive only just got my chickens & rabbits believing us to be staying here & I feel its unfair for my dh to complain now when I discussed it with him 4 months ago.
:(

Btw we live in a tiny one bedroom flat in the uk with about 6x4ft for the kitchen. The living rooms about 17ft x 10ft & the bedroom is about 13ft x 15ft. The bathroom barely has room for a toilet, sink & shower in 5x4ft. :(

Last edited:
Let me see if I get this right -

Right now:
you live in a smaller flat,
which is falling apart because the landlord doesn't do maintenace or rapair work
you don't have a contract for it - so he could kick you out if the whim hits
you share a garden area
and he doesn't like that you have animals (ie, could terminate your residence because it irritates him)

DH wants to:
move to a bigger and better flat
with a non-shared garden area
the new landlord cares about his property, wants to know what kind of people will be moving in and is willing to maintain it

Problem is you will be moving right away (2 weeks). Can't you move your coop with you or will you have to get rid of your animals?
You said you have talked to the new landlord - is he against the animals, or haven't you asked about them.

Let me see if I get this right -

Right now:
   you live in a smaller flat,
   which is falling apart because the landlord doesn't do maintenace or rapair work
   you don't have a contract for it - so he could kick you out if the whim hits
   you share a garden area
   and he doesn't like that you have animals (ie, could terminate your residence because it irritates him)

DH wants to:
   move to a bigger and better flat
   with a non-shared garden area
   the new landlord cares about his property, wants to know what kind of people will be moving in and is willing to maintain it

Problem is you will be moving right away (2 weeks).  Can't you move your coop with you or will you have to get rid of your animals?
You said you have talked to the new landlord - is he against the animals, or haven't you asked about them.
[/quote

My dh hasnt asked and its really freaking me out.
We do have a contract with our current landlord, but it might as well not exist.

Ive had no direct contact with the new landlord, because its dh’s friend whos arranging it for when he leaves the property, but I am very nervous about leaving our first home because if it goes wrong & we lose our current tenancy which is due to end in 3 weeks then we are right back at square one again homeless.
We went through hell just to get in this tenancy after 3 years on the streets because the landlord knew we were desperate because no other landlord would have us because at the time we had 2 dogs and the cat & we live in the uk so no landlord wants pets here & our current landlord uses that fact to not keep to the tenancy since he knows we are stuck.

If this new landlord says no Ill probably have a nervous breakdown, on top of it all in the agreement im supposed to give my current landlord a months notice, which i didnt do because i dont know whats happening and everytime i ask dh HE doesnt know either, just says we are waiting on his mate and the landlord.

Weve always been really good in our tenancy because we knew if we had to leave there wouldnt be anywhere except family and friends who can only put us up short term. It took us 3 years just to get in a flat, countless no’s from landlords over a pair of dogs who do nothing but lie in the hallway and sleep!

:( :( :( :( :(

Last edited:
Geesh, is housing really that tight in the UK? I had no idea. Here you just pay a pet deposit to cover any damages your pet might do.

Yep it is very tight.

Well, its good news , the landlord said yes to all the animals as we are putting a huge deposit down.

I think he felt a bit sorry for us because he visited our current property & its like a tidy bombsite.

:)

tidy bombsite??
lau.gif

I am glad things are working out for you and your animals!

tidy bombsite?? :lau

I am glad things are working out for you and your animals!

Well, we moved, our new flat is great, the landlords helped us & I've got 6 beautiful quail chicks in the brooder & chicken eggs in lockdown :)
Also our cockerel comes in at nigit, goes in the cat carrier & HOLDS HIMSELF ALL NIGHT UNTIL THE MORNING when we uncover him and let him out with the hens.
Our cat ran away though :-(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom