New layer, a lot of double yolks... is this ok?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by halimak1, Oct 3, 2016.

1. halimak1

halimak1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have a Pekin duck that has been laying for about a week. BUT she's been laying mostly double yolks, a few with blood spots and one with some nastiness... What is going on?

2. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    My gold hybrids and khakis would lay double eggs when they first started laying. I believe it's not uncommon. Their bodies will adjust.
    Coincidence or not, those two ducks that did lay a lot of double yolks ended up having egg laying issues a couple years later. I don't know of its an early sign or simply coincidence.

1 person likes this.
  3. halimak1

halimak1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    Hmm, I hope its just one duck then. Thank you for your response! Do you have any advice in what to look out for for the laying issues later?

4. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    It's hard to say exactly because they hide pain pretty well. Also both were going through a molt when the issues started! So I thought the egg production was down because that is normal during molt. Plus they look scrabbly, eat less, etc during molt. Then I noticed they were breathing heavy.. like obviously heavy. Long story short the first one I took to the vet to have spayed (I know crazy duck lady)- she was my first so I just couldn't put her down. The second one managed to pull out of it and for the last year and a half she only lays soft eggs IF she lays an egg. I've tried everything I could think of. But she seems fine otherwise, runs around with the others. Breathes a little heavy around sundown but it's not anything like it used to. I would say if you notice symptoms of lethargy, or wanting to sit a lot, hide in a dark place, heavy breathing, soft eggs, or no eggs then that should raise concern. My first duck had EYP (Google it) and that's why I had her spayed. The second didnt, I don't know what's going on with her, but she has no symptoms for the last year other than no eggs or soft eggs. But if you notice all the symptoms that is definitely a red flag and can be deadly quick.
    Also if you live in a cooler climate and give heat lamps at night in the winter, I've heard that can mess with their egg production- although is controversial. I think it is more common in high production egg layers to have issues such as the gold hybrid 300, khakis, etc.
    Just keep an eye on her. Right now I don't think there's anything to be concerned about, I remember reading a while back it was not uncommon for new layers to lay doubles. Google that also.

1 person likes this.
  5. tatswell

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    You can add a splash of organic apple cider vinegar (Bragg brand) to their drinking water for a week and see if that helps too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by