New Layer and Soft-Shelled Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AUChickenGal, Mar 28, 2017.

1. AUChickenGal

AUChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    I've read a few different times on here that it's not uncommon for new layers to lay the occasional soft-shelled, shell-less or otherwise odd eggs. My question is, does anyone here have an opinion/experience regarding how long it typically takes for a pullet to get the kinks worked out and settle into a regular laying routine? Has anyone ever had a pullet who continued to regularly lay abnormal eggs for her entire laying life?

I have five 26-week old pullets. One of the Easter Eggers, Hootie, has been laying for about two weeks. She laid three eggs the first week and had laid at least three soft-shelled eggs (from the roost either at night or very early in the morning) and only one normal egg in the last week.

I'm not too concerned about her just yet, since she's only been laying for a couple of weeks, but I am wondering how long I should expect this to continue before it becomes something to worry about. I feed Purina Flock Raiser with oyster shell and grit in separate dishes (all free choice); I don't think her diet is the problem.

2. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    A few of my new layers did that for a while, and I just gave them more calcium, so oyster shells, grit, and cracked egg shells. They eventually got into the rhythm, so I don't think you need to worry about anything.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It can take several weeks for some birds - every one is an individual. Your feed program is fine and she will soon get all her parts working in the right order.

4. AUChickenGal

AUChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    AL
    Thanks, both of you! I'll try to be patient. Not my strong suit! She lays very pretty pastel blue eggs, too; I'd like to get more than one a week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by