New Layer Doing the WEIRDEST Thing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iwiw60, Aug 6, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    One of my girls laid her first egg yesterday..woo-hoo! So today she has again started in with the bwak-bwaking endlessly, pacing around, in the coop outta the coop....in the coop outta the coop. But she has added another weird behavior. She'll go into the run and pace back and forth in this one spot rubbing her beak on the hardware cloth!!

Now...THAT's weird!

OH! She's back in the coop again right now, scratching the floor, peering into the nest box, scratching incesently. I have a web cam, that's why I can watch when she's in there....driving me nuts!!! [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Don't watch! Seriously, though... She will settle down. She's just experiencing new sensations that she's never experienced before. Once her reproductive system gets settled down into a routine, and she knows what to expect, her anxiety will go away.

3. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Thanks, you've set my mind at ease. I'm an 'eternal worrier'...always have been. I've been telling myself since this all started that she's just freaking out with this egg-laying thing....but I'm sure I'll worry just a teeny bit!

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I have surveillance cameras in coop and perimeters and love them. When mine started laying, wouldn't have known who was doing what without it.
    When mine started laying…it drove my in house cat nuts…the egg sound goes on and on..I love it.

People I know think its crazy to love chickens, and know I'm crazy when they find I have them on monitors!

5. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yep! She's in the coop right this second cackling away and scratching the floor like she's digging her way to China! This will be her second egg and I know it's just a matter of "what the heck is happening back there?" [​IMG] I think she's going to always be a late-day layer. Her first one yesterday was found almost at dark and was still warm.

6. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Well.....SHE DID IT! She laid her second egg!! Yay! I think she's going to be a late-day layer. This second one was just like the first...small, perfectly shaped, silky smooth shell...so proud of her! Good grief, what am I going to do when they ALL start laying?? I'll be a wreck!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by