New layer hasn't laid since first egg - question about oyster shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChirpyChicks1, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I was going to just ask this on someones post but I figured this might be better.

I have six pullets that turned 18 weeks old today. One of them, either a red sex link or a black sex link, laid 1 small light brown egg on Sunday evening. So far I haven't found another egg. I was able to get them on layer feed yesterday but the store was out of oyster shell. I had accidentally bought parakeet grit with calcium when they were little, can I give them that until the oyster shell comes in? The employee I talked to said they "might" have it on Friday [​IMG]

If your new layers stopped after their first egg or two how long did it take them to start laying again?

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens are erratic when they first start laying. They have to get in the groove

Layer food is sufficient for laying chickens. Oyster shell is provided when the feed itself doesn't have sufficient calcium. Layer feed is formulated with calcium for laying chickens.

If they have access to the soil in your run, they will have plenty of grit picked up from the ground.

Chris

3. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Thanks for the help Chris

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There's nothing magical about either layer feed or oyster shell, neither one will cause a hen to lay, and lack of them won't prevent a hen from laying. High production birds simply need more calcium than regular feed has, and those are two ways to get them calcium. Brand new layers also don't need the calcium as much, as they have a strong store in their bodies to start with. So, don't stress about the feed! And layer feed OR oyster shell, having both is redundant.

New layers do weird things, and it's normal for them to lay irregularly for the first few months. Other things to expect are double yolks, no yolks, shells with lumps/bumps/ridges/weird shape, no shell at all and meat spots. All of these things are totally normal for a new layer and not a cause for concern unless they become a regular occurrence.

5. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Sorry if my post was confusing, I didn't mean to sound like I thought the feed and/or oyster shell was necessary for laying. Thanks for your reply though.

6. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Found another egg this afternoon! This one was long and skinny lol it's so funny seeing the differences. Yesterday my brother brought the chickens straw for the nesting boxes (instead of the horrid pine shavings) and also a few golf balls. I doubt that really had anything to do with getting another egg today but I'll let him think it [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by