1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New layer laid jumbo egg?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gizzyntaz, Mar 12, 2016.

1. gizzyntaz

gizzyntaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    My pullets are 24 weeks and just started laying early last week. This morning Penny (our noisiest) was extra noisy after laying. When I went out to collect eggs there was a JUMBO egg out there - 75g!!! It put our remaining Costco eggs to shame... I haven't opened it yet to see if it is a double yolk or something - but is that in the range of normal for a new layer? She is a Rhode Island Red and the largest egg we have had to date was a medium. She didn't lay yesterday. Thanks.

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    This is completely normal for a new layer- she's just getting into the swing of laying. I've had yolk-less, shell-less, tiny and giant eggs from young pullets.

3. gizzyntaz

Sep 25, 2015
    Oh good! She didn't seem bothered, except for the extra singing :) I'll be curious to see what is inside. It has been so fun seeing them grow up into these "big" girls.

4. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Yup! Me too; and all the teeny eggs I've gotten have been yolkless. One time my grandkids were with me looking at the 'chickies', and one of the pullets squatted a little, then laid a shell-less egg right in front of us[​IMG]

5. Opendoorfarm

Opendoorfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016

So what's the verdict double yolk?

Blessings from our farm to yours!

6. gizzyntaz

Sep 25, 2015

I should have updated...yes it was a beautiful double yolk and we haven't had one since! Earlier that week one of our Reds had laid a tiny egg, when we opened it we found ONLY yolk! So cool!

7. Opendoorfarm

Opendoorfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016

We are just getting back into chickens I have some new pullets awaiting the weeks before we start having eggs again and those double yolks are always a treat! Remember my first one like it was yesterday...what a surprise kinda got accustomed to them as we would see them quite often.

Thanks for the quick response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by