New layer layed two eggs today?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by undergroundchickens, Aug 6, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I have a little Rhode Island Red that just started to lay. On Wednesday she laid a weird rubber egg I posted here about. Yesterday she didn't lay. Today she was in the coop nest box at 8 am. All the other birds were in the run. She came out after about 20 minutes singing the egg song. I ran over and sure enough a nice little egg with a shell this time. It was quite a rough shell like small grit sandpaper feels but had a shell so a great improvement from her first try. About 1/2 hour later my only other RIR pullet that is laying went in and left me a nice big double yolker (3rd in a row). I grabbed it and went in the house. About an hour later I went out and noticed the first RIR was back in the coop. I just figured she was practicing sitting in the nest. I went over to pet her. Under her I found another warm egg. This one is the same color as her second egg just oblong and smaller. She jumped of and started with her egg song again. It seems to me that she must have laid two? Is it possible?

I do also have two Barred Rocks that seem close to lay but they are supposed to be lighter in color than a RIR hens right? I also have two EE's the same age that could start any day. Where I was not out there it could be possible that one of those left an egg and the RIR went in and sat on it? If it is an egg from one of my EE's I will not be happy....they better be laying green/bluish eggs.

So what do you all think? Here is a picture of the eggs. The top row are eggs from my 1st RIR. The second row would be the second RIRs eggs from today (the eggs in question).

What do you all think? Did the same pullet lay two eggs on the same day within 2 hours of each other? [​IMG] I didn't think this was possible with the 24 hour cycle I have read about.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    This is no scientific proof or anything, but i don't think those two eggs in the second row were laid by the same pullet. I could very easily be wrong about that. [​IMG]

3. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Could it be that one of my BR's laid it for their first egg and she ran in and sat on it? I asked today if RIR eggs and BR eggs were different enough shades to tell them apart and was told BR's eggs are much lighter than RIR's). I am at a total loss......what the heck is going on. [​IMG] They are totally different in shape but color is about the same. The second egg is also a little gritty feeling like the first but has some darker specks. I hate that I just have to know who is laying what.....but I just can't help it. [​IMG] This is gonna drive me nuts until I figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by