1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New layer or layers... I need some help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Emptywagon2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I saw my EE pullet lay a small pinkish tan egg yesterday...so I know that she is laying...and my husband found an egg in the yard that was the same color but just a little bigger.(it had been out there a while..cracked & stinky) There was just a tiny bit of blood smear on the egg yesterday. So, Today, I went out to gather the eggs I found a tiny egg that is lighter in color..still pinkish tan.. but much lighter & half the size of the one yesterday. It had blood smeared over half of it. My question is do you think this egg (from today) is my EE's or my bantam's? If it is the bantam's, it is her 1st. I will post pictures of the pullets & the eggs too, if needed. Thanks

Oh, I checked both pullets vents & they look moists..I also checked their pelvic bones to see how many fingers could fit between them... 2 fingers on the both but 3 on the EE.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    First eggs are often very small. Some here call them fart eggs. As the hen gets to laying, the eggs become bigger. So it's would be hard to tell who's egg it is at this point.

3. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    Here are pictures of the eggs in question:

[​IMG]

Now, in the carton with the rest of the eggs ( for size comparision):

[​IMG]

The one on the bottom right is the one I think might be the bantam's...the one on the top right is the one I saw the EE pullet lay yesterday.
    What do ya'll think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by