New layer thinks she's broody

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
My 6 month old Ameraucana laid her first egg 4 days ago and immediately started hogging the favorite nesting box, hissing, raising her hackles like a cat. She won't get out and everyone else is mad so I booted her. Every day since then. And her egg song is so annoyingly loud and sounds more like a crow cawing than a chicken. I have a few that hog the nesting box more than others but no broodies yet. Is this just her getting used to being a layer or is she going to be my troublemaker?

How long will she stay if you don't boot her out? Does she try to go back again?

I have booted her out every time so I am not sure if she'd stay all day if I left her. The first time I let her sit in there for a couple of hours because I wasn't sure if she laid yet and it was her first time laying so I didn't even know if she was going to lay or just practicing so I didn't want to interrupt. Once I saw her blue egg peaking out from under her, I booted her and found 2 fake eggs and 3 real eggs under her (obviously not all hers). So the next day I heard her cawing and the other ones were making a fuss so I went out to check for eggs and there she was queen of the box with all the older hens pacing to get in there. Hissing and cawing and raising the feathers on the back of her neck. I booted her out and she tried to get back in but the older hens took the chance to get in and she couldn't. Basically the same each day. Yesterday she tried to bite me when I booted her out and she's a really gentle sweet pullet normally.

Back
Top Bottom