New layer walking with wings slightly out

Mcook512

Songster
May 22, 2019
My new layer (1 week now) has been walking around with her wings slightly out. Like when she squats and spreads her wings. It’s warm, but certainly not hot (Highs in the 80s) They aren’t panting. My other big girls haven’t started to lay yet, they are all 19 weeks, but I have some who may be getting close. I noticed today another girl with her wings spread. Is that normal for laying hens? Or close to laying hens? Or are they indeed just hot?

A water filled rubbermaid type of tote with large shoebox sized blocks of ice would go a long way towards cooling them off. You can buy the plastic shoeboxes at most dollar stores, get the ones with the lid for easy stacking in your freezer. Your flock will sit on, stand in, lay near the tote, and some may even drink the cool water. If you have younger birds in your flock, be sure to put a big brick in the tote so that if a bird falls in, they can climb out.

Wonders if she's just hot cause of all the production going on inside?
They do start to eat more when laying.
Mine usually pant before lifting wings when temps are high,
80°F isnt' bad unless it's also very humid.
Or maybe she's just flexing her wings showing all the other birds how superior she now is.:gig
Whatever it is, I'd not worry much unless she is other wise acting 'off'.

I do like the big ice chunks for hot weather....and EL if they are really suffering.
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom