1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Layer Weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickadee2, May 6, 2009.

1. chickadee2

chickadee2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Our 6 month Brown Leghorn laid 3 or 4 eggs and then quit. She goes into the nest box every day for a long time and then comes out . One day she cackled so much that I was sure she would have an egg. But no. It has been 5 days since she was laying. She looks OK, however. Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I just read a thread about a broody hen dying possibly due to being egg bound...

She's probably just broody! I've heard of Leghorns going broody - weirder things have happend! [​IMG]

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    hmmmm.... I don't know. I would be more inclined to think it was just a hitch in her giddyup than any real problem. Those hormones just getting themselves worked out, you know?

I would suspect egg bound before broody though, especially with a high production breed like a Leghorn. They have a tendency towards being egg bound...

Good luck with her!!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Feel low across her abdomen for an egg. My Lil' Bit went months between her first two eggs and her next, but it bears watching to make sure your girl is okay.

5. chickadee2

chickadee2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Is there anything anyone can do to prevent a hen from getting egg bound? What would I do if I feel an egg low on her abdomen?
    Thanks for the responses to Flopsy's lack of eggs.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know that there is anything you can do to prevent egg bound, except that I've read overweight hens and hens that start to lay very young are more prone to it.
    If you do feel an egg, do a search here on BYC, keywords "egg bound" and you'll find lots of threads on how to treat.
    Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by