New layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nbenevento, Feb 19, 2013.

1. nbenevento

nbenevento Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    [​IMG]

I have 4 hens that are about 1.5 years old and they lay pretty normal. I also have 2 (Australorp and Silver Laced Wyandotte) that are 24 weeks old and one of them just started laying about a week ago. She lays small eggs for right now. However, today when I collected the eggs, there was the usual small egg but this time it is actually a little smaller than before, SLIGHTLY different color and shaped a little different too. Above is a picture of the eggs. Is it possible that the 2 eggs on the right are from the same hen? I am thinking the other hen layed her first egg this morning but I'm not positive. Will a new laying hen have different colored, shaped and smaller size eggs in her first week? Any input?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    When my adult chickens started eating chick food I had in the coop for some chicks all the eggs got bigger. When I removed the chick food and we went back to the laying pellets, all the eggs got slightly smaller again, or rather went back to normal. Once we are out of layer food I am going to get a higher protein all flock food. I like the large eggs. So perhaps they ate a whole lot of protein one day, thus making the eggs about a size, to half a size larger in my limited experience. Anyway a chickens diet can greatly impact their egg size even from day to day. It looks like 2 mature hen's eggs, and 2 pullet eggs to me though. The smaller egg might be from the same chicken, or it could be from another pullet that has just started laying.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. nbenevento

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    Well, yes the two on the left are from mature hens and the two on the right are from the pullets. But I am just not sure if the two on the right are from the same one or not. I will have it figured out in a days but I thought I would throw it out here for some feedback. Thanks!

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah the only way I can tell something like that is if I got 2 of those eggs in one day..then I would assume it is 2 different pullets...if I got one one day, and another the next I would assume they are from the same pullet. Other than that it is pretty hard to tell these things.

5. nbenevento

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    That is the assumption I am going with as well but I just wasn't sure if the eggs should look so different from each each other. I guess I am kind of wishful thinking that they both must be laying since they look so different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by