1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amyloumomof2, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Amyloumomof2

Amyloumomof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    My first layer laid eggs for 4 days straight. The first two days were very small, the third larger, and the fourth small again. Now she hasn't laid for 2 days. Is this normal? I asked another person with chickens and he thought maybe I had more than one laying, because they normally don't lay real regular like that. All four eggs were in the same nest (on the floor ugh) and I saw the same chicken frequenting it. Is it normal to have a couple day break after laying like that or is he right and I have a few chickens laying?

2. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    It does sound like another is laying if it got smaller again although mine did that, started really small got bigger and bigger up to the point the egg had a double yolk in then it went back to normal size. Mine had a day break more regularly than they do now they are in the swing of it so it is possible they are just having a few days off. What breed are the hens you have?

3. Amyloumomof2

Amyloumomof2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2014
    I have Rhode Island reds who are 18 weeks, which I know one of them has been laying, then I have black sexlinks that are 17 weeks (some are getting close I believe), then Barred Plymouth Rocks at 15 weeks, with no sign of being ready, and 1 Sicilian buttercup another week younger and way off. So long story short the Rhode Island Reds and Black Sex Links would be the contenders.

4. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    They start to squat (as you have probably noticed) a few days or a week before they will start to lay. It definitely seems like two of then have started but dont worry if there are gaps they will get the hang of it and soon enough you will have eggs coming out your ears!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by