new layers - 4 good eggs, now none?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pootersmama, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Pootersmama

Pootersmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    Help, I have 4 pullets - I am not exactly sure how old they are 3 were hatched "mid-march" The Red Star layed 4 eggs small and with a hard shell. Now she sits and no egg. I think the golden laced wydonette (same age) is also laying, her eggs are bigger than the red stars, but the shells are soft and they eggs are always ripped open. The leg horn is not laying yet and she is the same age.
    I have been reading posts and think I need to stop giving treats to the girls, although a favorite is cheese. Should I be giving then oyster shell??
    Any ideas or thoughts?[​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would stop the chees or atleast cut back .. Oystre shell would be great to firm up the eggs, also scrambled eggs for protien.. Honestly young layers can be very sporadic so as long as they are acting healthy and happy i wouldnt worry too much ...

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Just be sure that your Red Star hasn't gone broody....some young hens want to be teenage mums.

I personally don't like to give my hens eggs to eat....seems slightly perverse (cannibalistic), even though my hens are never averse to eating their own eggs if they break. Good quality layers pellets contain all that your hens need, but supplements like oyster shell and cuttlefish bone will ensure that they have enough calcium. Add fresh greens for folic acid.

And agreed, young hens go on and off lay initially and also lay small, oversize, and soft shelled eggs in the early laying period.

Sandie

4. Pootersmama

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    A few days off now the red star layed again... we will see if it gets more regluar. We added the oyster shell and cut back on the treats. The wydonette has not layed anything for 2 days ...not as worried, we will just wiat it out. They are all eating, drinking, and acting fine....

5. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Dont worry about it too much
    One of my girls didnt start laying normally until recently; they're almost a year old now...
    one morning she layed a beautiful egg right in the middle of the chook yard, then, right next to it, an egg that ripped, as you said, then she got rid of the egg whites of a third egg next to that [​IMG]
    now shes fine, healthy and all, and lays beautiful double yolkers at least once a week! [​IMG]

6. Pootersmama

Jun 1, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks...I am a very type A, I need to learn to relax...they will do what they want, not on my time....SIGH. I am also a first time chicken mommy, I was much better with the kids - i think it is in my old age I have become SSSSOOOOOO neurotic. LOL:)

7. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    I worried too [​IMG] its kinda a 'new chook mum' thing

Everytime I gave them something new to eat, I had to go check it up online to see if they werent allergic, or was bad for their egglaying...
    ...after they ate 10 kilos of cheese, carrot and lemon rinds and were fine I kinda settled down and now whatever we cook, they get the leftovers [​IMG]
    hows the egglaying going?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by