New layers and thin shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blackout, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Blackout

Blackout New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    Ohio
    Hi folks, I apologize if this is covered elsewhere and mods please feel free to move or merge this.

Our black javas are just beginning to lay. The first couple eggs were intact but weird and thin shelled but of the six or so eggs laid, all but those first couple eggs have broken.

So, being that they are new layers, should I be concerned about the thin shells yet? Our birds are free ranging all day but we do also feed layer pellets, cracked corn, ground egg shells, fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as other food scraps. We have other hens laying and a turkey as well with very nice thick shells.

I've read on here of a number of folks feeding much more than we do with game bird feed and grains and other things too but is that primary with penned birds that aren't free ranging?

I appreciate and am open to any advice, thank you!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The thin shells are likely the result of your chickens being new to laying. New layers often have trouble with thin shells, incomplete eggs, small eggs, bloody shells, etc. You are doing a good job giving them crushed egg shell and layer feed. This should be enough calcium for strong egg shells, though it is not working right now. You could try getting some oyster shell, as this might help, too.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It sounds like you're doing everything right. I'd just give them some time, let their new systems figure out the whole production line. New layers often do weird things, and usually work it out in the first few months.

1 person likes this.
  4. Blackout

Blackout New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    Ohio
    Thank you for takin a look and offering advice!

The young birds just beginning to lay is new to us, this may be the first of many questions, so thank you in advance!

5. paulapeep

paulapeep New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    Hi, this is my first post here, but I have reading for awhile and learning a lot. I got my first egg yesterday but none today yet. I heard the egg song but no egg. Should I be concerned or is this normal when they first start to lay?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's very normal. They're living animals and don't just turn on like a switch. Irregular laying, weird shells, these things are all normal.

7. paulapeep

paulapeep New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    Thank you very much :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by