1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New layers. How long does it take...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WA23, Nov 12, 2008.

1. WA23

WA23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    to get a new layers egg from small (@43g) to medium and then to large or xlarge? Assuming a large breed bird.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I usually notice a gradual change after the first few,but it may take 2 or 3 months for the eggs to get normal size.

3. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    [​IMG] I guess I will stop marking and weighing eggs then. I do not want to be doing that for a few months each day.
    I just thought that it would be fun to see the progressing if it took place over a few weeks. I have seen a gain of 3grams over 4 days, though the size is the same or even smaller, if anyone cares about that info.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I weigh each and every one of mine...but NO, I'm NOT obsessed....

Anywho, it really depends on the chicken, too. I've got a HUGE EE that lays 1.6 ounce eggs consistently. Her first was 1.4 (peewee, BARELY), and once she got to 1.6, they have stayed the same. This has been many months now. I doub they'll get bigger. I don't sell them, but keep for myself.

Then, I've got this Wheaten Penedesenca that's tiny...and lays XL sized eggs - took her about 4 months to get there. It AMAZES me how well she lays and how huge her eggs are! [​IMG]

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It does take a while lol.

6. WA23

Aug 17, 2008
    Northwest WA State
    I have to hide the fact from my wife that I am weighing these eggs so she does not think I am completely chicken obsessed. I have to fight the kids [​IMG] as to who gets to go out and collect the one egg a day we get (just for right now). If you want to see a 35yo guy get "giddy" [​IMG] about something, just come watch me take care of the chickens and collect eggs.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Tell me about it! It's still my favorite part of the day! It never gets old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by