new layers not using nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, Jun 19, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Finallly my EE and black sex link are starting to lay (I've gotten my first 3 eggs!!) but all 3 have been outside in the run on the ground. After the first egg i put a golf ball in the nesting box but it inspired nothing. I live in Texas and it is 96 degrees so my chickens have access to a large open run with their own swimming pool 24 hours a day. I think they only go in the coop to eat and roost at night when it's cool. Should i put one of the nesting boxes outside?

2. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

put golf balls in every box. give them a little time. at first they dont understand, but they should get the hang of it. Congrats on your first eggs!

3. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Thank you very much and I'm sorry about your loss.
    Quote:

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I have a six coop setup for my purebreds, I had a few eggs laid in the runs, and one coop that laid on the ground in the neating area.

All of the others learned to lay in the nest, but the silver laced wyandottes laid in the corner of their coop. We were going to cut a new door to get their eggs, but a opossum got the rooster and one of the hens so we just moved the other hen into the main coop of free rangers.

If they were all still there, those wyadottes would probably still be laying in the corner of their nesting area. Some hens are just like that. Golf balls, eggs, in the nest, they just ignored it, lol. I got one of those long handled grabbers to get their eggs.

Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by