new layers... pecked open egg

bygrace53

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 4, 2013
I have eight pullets about 22 weeks in age. Several have started laying. Eggs were in good condition. This morning, however, I found this one pecked open. Any thoughts on how to stop this or what I should do?

See the web like cracks? It looks like it started as a thin shell. This sometimes happens with pullets before things get sorted out but can become a problem if they find out how tasty they are and teach others to eat them.
If every one of your chickens are actively laying, they should be on layer feed (4% calcium).
Whether they are all laying or not, you should be providing crushed oyster shell or other good calcium source, free choice, in a separate container.
In addition to calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D need to be in appropriate quantities in the diet. Vitamin D will also come from adequate exposure to sunlight which may be a problem in winter.

The are on layer feed and have been for some time. They also get regular veggies, organic from our garden of all kinds. We live in Arizona so there is no lack of sunshine! The shells are quite thick...

Most of my shells are quite thick but I had 2 recently from a pullet that looked like that. I don't use layer feed since I have all ages as well as roosters. I just offer oyster shell so they can get what they need. My pullets eggs are improving.

Back
Top Bottom