NEW LAYERS suddenly stopped laying...for good?

crazy4eggsJulie

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 15, 2009
We have a cuckoo marans that recently started laying and layed for about 3 weeks like clock work. During that time, two of our bantams started laying as well and I would get their two small eggs every other day or so. Then, suddenly everyone just stopped! No marans eggs in over a week now and she was laying 5-6 days a week. Only ONE little egg in a week. I can't figure out what changed. The cuckoo marans was wearing an apron since she started laying. I took it off to wash it. She hasn't laid an egg since. Could this be related? How strange? The weather here in TX has actually cooled down a bit. We've only changed their food to laying pellets here in the last 2 days. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

The cooler weather might have something to do with it. But then again I live in North Texas and I am still getting eggs everyday. I have a banty sitting on 8 right now.

The saddles really discouraged our roosters. Would it have anything to do with the fact that they now have easy access to the hen? Perhaps she is expressing her disapproval of the new situation?
wink.png

Just to update my hens stopped laying 2 days ago. Have you been getting the crazy rain that we have up in north tx?

Yes. We've had alot of rain lately. Still no cuckoo marans eggs...We have decided that they must be eating them. I used to catch her laying though...and now I never see her do it.
sad.png

We've been having tons of rain here and I am getting no eggs at all...I have about 10 sex links plus a few other layers...Just about any change can stress out a chicken which causes them to stop laying for a while.

ETA: Before all the rain, I was getting a dozen eggs a day..

Last edited:
I am in North Texas also but still getting some eggs. Never know how many I will get till the end of the day though. Yesterday I got 8, today 4.

Hard to promiss someone I will have eggs to sell when I don't even know if I will have any for me!

tholt03 where in N. Tex. are you? I am in Whitewright

Back
Top Bottom