1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Layers wrong color eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmtcmkb, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Is it normal for brown laying chickens to lay white eggs at the start? I'm not sure which chicken is laying white eggs but one is. I double checked on line and they should all lay brown eggs. Doesnt matter to me just took me by surprise that's all. I think i've gotten 4 white eggs in a row and it's got to be same chicken they are kind of oblong, definately different shape than my Red Stars.

I have 2 RedStars,1 Australorp,1 BO and 1 BR.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Look at the earlobes. If they are white, they will lay white eggs. Are you sure of the breeds? Some light brown eggs look pretty white until you put a white egg next to them. JJust a few thoughts

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    My Buff Orpington has white earlobes, maybe it's her. I guess it could be a very very light brown, I will check next to white paper [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by