1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New laying chicken got pasty butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tc4, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tc4

tc4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Hi, one of my Buff Orpington's just started laying and she now has pasty butt, I keep cleaning her with warm water but she still seems to have the problem, is it due to her now laying (she started 3 days ago). Is there anything I can do besides cleaning her everyday. Will she just grow out of it without any treatment. My other chickens are doing fine, only 3 of the eight are laying so far but we expect the others to start soon.

Yesterday I gently trimmed the feathers around her butt and put a little vaseline on, I have read other posts that say to use olive oil, any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Well, my EE is 3 years old and she still has it [​IMG]

3. tc4

tc4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Oh no, that doesn't give me much hope. Today I cleaned her up and gave her a blow dry and then I think she laid an egg with no shell a little later so she isn't quite right.

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    tc, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Pullets laying shell-less eggs are normal. Their bodies are just getting the hang of it. I had one girl who laid a handful of these until she started producing them with shells. I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as the poopy butt - a farmer friend of mine suggested that introducing some grit will help to bind the poo so it doesn't get all over the butt. Good luck [​IMG]

5. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I would give her some oyster shell as well. The calcium will help her build stronger shells and it may double as grit to help with the pasty butt. I have only dealt with chicks having it and with that I hold them down in some warm soapy water until it is loose enough to dislodge. Hope she is OK.

6. tc4

tc4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Thanks all for the advice, I will order oyster shells, I have been grinding up regular egg shells and giving it to them, they free range for at least 5 hours a day. I am soaking her butt everyday, can't beleive I sat there this morning having my coffe and soaking a chickens butt in soapy water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by