New laying flock

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cmferrante, Aug 10, 2013.

1. cmferrante

cmferrante Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    My new laying flock started laying. Still pretty small eggs overall. I see the rooster mounting the ladies. I picked up an incubator and want to try my hand at hatching. Can these "first eggs" be hatched? I've had more then a few dozen eggs from these 25 or so birds.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, these first eggs can be hatched. However, many people wait until their birds have been laying for a month or so, or until the eggs reach full size. They do this because larger eggs create larger chicks, and larger chicks are usually healthier and more able to survive. Small eggs can hatch, too, but the chicks may need more attention.

Personally, I'd set their eggs.[​IMG]

3. cmferrante

cmferrante Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    got in the run area to do some work...decided to actually count the birds. There are 43 older birds and 25 from march.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find out which of the older birds are laying? I would like to cull the non laying birds very soon.

4. nancymace1967

nancymace1967 New Egg

May 9, 2013
    this is to Wyandottes7 i'm new to chicken talk what exactly does" i would set them" mean. sorry i was reading the different posts about hatching and incubators

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It means that I would put them in an incubator and incubate them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by