New laying hen, is bald spot normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by guncollector, Oct 27, 2010.

1. guncollector

guncollector Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    sf/bay area
    As first-time chicken keepers, we're so excited to be harvesting our first eggs.

Store bought on the left, our Welsummer's eggs on the right. Still waiting on our Black Rock's eggs.
    [​IMG]

Here the girls are; Black Rock on the left Welsummer on the right.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the bad pic, but is this "bald spot" normal on a newly-laying hen? I ask because the two have not had any Pecking Order issues since the first week or two, and have been living more or less harmoniously....until...just recently as the Welsummer started laying and suddenly she has this bald spot on her back appear. Coincidence or causation? Or, is it a sign that the Black Rock/"alpha" is pecking at her? IF that's the case, what's the remedy.
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    That definitely looks like pecking damage. Try a little pine tar. You can get it in the equine section of most farm stores. It's messy to deal with and stinks to high heaven, but it works.
    Don't worry about what it says on the label about it not being for internal consumption. The peck-er will get one taste of it and decide to do something better with her time. It's very safe.

3. guncollector

Jul 13, 2010
    sf/bay area
    Hey, thanks for the tip! I called Petco and our local Hay & Feed, they don't stock it. Will try local Saddle shop next. [​IMG]

4. guncollector

Jul 13, 2010
    sf/bay area
    For those looking for "Pine Tar", you may find it difficult to find. Tip: your local Saddle shop will stock it under the "Hoof Dressing" category. Our local shop intially said they didn't sell "pine tar". But after a little more digging on the net, we called back and asked if they carried any "hoof dressing". Sure enough, they had a few options--who's primary ingredient was Pine Tar (the saddle shop staff simply didn't know it).

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, I'm sorry. I should have mentioned that it is typically used as a hoof dressing for horses. It has antiseptic and germicidal properties so it helps heal the wound as it protects it from further pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by