New laying hen sitting on her egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wizbop, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Songster

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Miss Ida Claire is sitting on her newly laid egg. Is this normal? The other day when this happened, I just lifted her up and pulled the egg out. She's only laid 5 eggs so far (one a day 5 days in a row). Is this what I am supposed to be doing? Is this normal for her to be sitting on her eggs in the coop like this? I'm a newbie. [​IMG]

2. Sgsf

Sgsf Songster

May 4, 2010
    I think it might be a Broody chicken.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I agree. A broody hen will sit for days if you let her. Make sure you get her up to drink and eat. My hen just had a bout of broodiness. It lasted for 3 weeks. During that time she quit laying. She sat on the nest even though there were no eggs. Hang in there, she'll come out of it eventually. Just make sure you get her up 3 or 4 times a day so she doesn't lose weight and get sick.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. Wizbop

Wizbop Songster

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    IS it normal for a hen to sit on an egg for any length of time or do they pop it out and hop off? I don't think she is broody. She's only laid 6 eggs total now and she's a RIR, which are not know to be a broody breed.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Most hatchery breeds have now had the broodiness bred out of them, but the individual bird can sometimes become hormonal and go broody. Some breeds are more prone to it than others, for example, Orpingtons and Australorps, many Cochins, and silkies.

Normally, pullets/hens lay their eggs and leave them. Broody hens want to become mothers, so they sit on them. They will lay a few more eggs (to build up a clutch), then stop laying and start incubating the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by