New Laying pullet acting aggressive towards other pullets?

waitin on eggs

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Spartansburg,PA
I posted this a couple days ago and I got a response of adding ACV to their water to correct her behavior, I wondered how long it would take for that to work and if there is anything else I can do. I have 3 RIR approx 27 wks have been raised together, Pecking order has been established and it was obvious where they fell in the lineup. The middle one in order is now very aggressive towards the other two pecking and not letting them eat or drink, she seems to be attempting to mount them also when they are out in the yard. I wonder if this is some kind of hormone surge? Or if she's just being grump for a while? Or does the pecking order change as they start to lay They have all been laying really well for about a week now. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

My EE hen just started laying 2 weeks ago and became much more assertive toward my 2 remaining pullets who aren't yet laying. Her attitude toward the 2 hens already laying before her is about the same now as it was before she was laying. She is starting to settle now though.

Last edited:
ACV is a good product but it isn't going to change her behavior, which is hormone controlled. A hen trying to mount other hens is taking on (or trying to) the role of the rooster. Most likely the thing to do is let them work it out. It will probably change the pecking order.

Before I had a mature roo, I had a hen do this for a while. Never caused a serious problem.

Quote:
I figured it was some sort of hormone issue, I'll just keep a close eye. thanks very much for the input, these chickens are very amazing and confusing animals, it's so nice to have this website with such knowledgeable people.

Quote:
I definitely agree. Hang around here with us and you will learn an amazing amount of stuff in no time. That's how I learned....

Back
Top Bottom