New lone baby chick owner. Help!

Chickenwing11

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2020
Aloha friends, I’m writing from the island of Kauai, Hawaii.

Just became the owner of a single, baby black chick that doesn’t seem to be more than a week old. Wing feathers aren’t even in yet.

It’s late Saturday night as I write this, and my baby chicky is in a small cardboard box with a rag for flooring. He’s wrapped up nice and snug inside a small towel and seems to be alseep for the night. I have a heat lamp currently on that isn’t shining into the box, but is about 0.5 inches from the outside of the box, heating up one surface.

Don’t really have access to much materials at home. Here’s what I need help with:

What do I buy to build a brooder that will help this lone chick thrive, not just survive?

I’ve done some research already, but would appreciate your insight. PS I’m wanting to build a heating pad “cave” that mimics the mama hen instead of using a heat lamp.

Pine shavings, chick starter, water and food feeders,...what else?

thanks in advance!

Aloha friends, I’m writing from the island of Kauai, Hawaii.

Just became the owner of a single, baby black chick that doesn’t seem to be more than a week old. Wing feathers aren’t even in yet.

It’s late Saturday night as I write this, and my baby chicky is in a small cardboard box with a rag for flooring. He’s wrapped up nice and snug inside a small towel and seems to be alseep for the night. I have a heat lamp currently on that isn’t shining into the box, but is about 0.5 inches from the outside of the box, heating up one surface.

Don’t really have access to much materials at home. Here’s what I need help with:

What do I buy to build a brooder that will help this lone chick thrive, not just survive?

I’ve done some research already, but would appreciate your insight. PS I’m wanting to build a heating pad “cave” that mimics the mama hen instead of using a heat lamp.

Pine shavings, chick starter, water and food feeders,...what else?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 9
Being a lone chick an unbreakable mirror and a small stuffed animal help.

A large 2'x3' box will do as a brooder but if you want something reusable there are several plans and articles here.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/incubators-brooders.27/

Have you found the mama heating pad in the brooder thread?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

If at all possible finding a couple friends for the little one would be best since they are flock animals that truly NEED a flock.

Welcome to backyard chickens. Mealworms and grit to thrive not just survive. Some people are against it. Some are for it. Needs a coop when older. Needs a run. You can easily get a chicken diaper. If it's a house chicken. So you can keep it more company. Waterer or a nipple bottle. Best of luck.

Welcome to backyard chickens. Mealworms and grit to thrive not just survive. Some people are against it. Some are for it. Needs a coop when older. Needs a run. You can easily get a chicken diaper. If it's a house chicken. So you can keep it more company. Waterer or a nipple bottle. Best of luck.
No mealworms for chicks. Chick food only. They don’t even need grit until they start to forage.

Sorry I have to disagree. There is grit sold at my farm store specially designed for baby chicks. What happens if there is a mom hen and her hatched babies eat with her?

You will undoubtedly find out very soon the “things” you will need to raise a healthy chicken. I felt the need to impress upon you the importance of chickens needing a flock...they are FAR from solitary animals. My opinion is that no matter how well cared for, a solitary chicken will never reach its full potential to thrive or be truly content & happy.

Sorry I have to disagree. There is grit sold at my farm store specially designed for baby chicks. What happens if there is a mom hen and her hatched babies eat with her?

A mother hen foraging with chicks would show them the proper sized grit as well. Many have found that chicks given free access to grit without a mom to direct them will eat to much causing issues.

To be on the safe side and having raised about 200 chicks over the years I give chick feed only until they are in the coop and run with everyone else.
I have lost exactly 2 chicks over the years. Both of those were very weak upon arrival.

Edited to be very clear......
I give chick feed as the only feed (no treats) until they are in the coop with everyone else. Then EVERYONE gets chick feed since it won't hurt the adults one bit. Once in the coop with everyone else EVERYONE gets a bit of scratch to share in the morning.

Last edited:
[Quote/]
To be on the safe side and having raised about 200 chicks over the years I give chick feed only until they are in the coop and run with everyone else.
I have lose exactly 2 chicks over the years. Both of those were very weak upon arrival.
[/QUOTE]
Okay. Thanks. I'm not the OP. I have incubated 100 baby chicks one time. I have lost 4 chickens due to racoons.

I don't buy grit.
I don't buy mealworms.

Grit is good to have on hand, but if the chicks are eating only their chick starter, there is no need for it.

Mealworms - not the best idea for a week old chick. I have a few times had to pull that kind of thing out of a choking chick's beak.

Chick feed is specifically designed with exactly what they need at that age - diluting it with anything else defeats the point.

Back
Top Bottom