New looking for some help at the firehouse!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenfire, Mar 30, 2015.

1. chickenfire

chickenfire New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Hey all wanted to stop in and say Hi I am new to this forum and looking for a little direction. I am a firefighter in St. Louis County and am wanting to build a coop at the firehouse. A group of us at the firehouse are very interested in raising chickens however due to ordinances where we live we are unable to. However, there are no ordinances against it where our firehouse is located. We are in the process of writing a proposal to the Chief asking his permission. What I am look for are some pros to raising the chickens at the firehouse. We are already looking at the public education we could use towards the kids in the community, anything else would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! You also get healthy fresh eggs!

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  4. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    here is a pro he may like. make it a walk in and set up demonstrations of the right and wrong way of heating/insulating the coop (only powering the right way or designing where heat isnt needed. coop fires during cold snaps are a problem every year, the ability to show what is required to be safe and how to do it should be worth something. (dont use chicken wire, predators will go right through it).

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined! [​IMG] Definitely check out the link @Chicken Girl1 posted. You could always bribe the fire chief with the promise of fresh eggs. [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member