Lmkkeggs

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2019
Washington state
Hi,
Iv been raising backyard, small farm flocks ever since I was a little kid. Iv raised flocks of Turkeys & chickens. Right now I have chicken, ducks, and peacocks.
My chickens have mainly reproduced on their own and kept my flock at an acceptable number for my family. I recently bought a small incubator and decided to give that a go, I don’t know anything about that other than what Iv read.
I have 2female peahens and one male. Iv had the male for a long time and he’s a good friend. I have three ducks, I would have more but have lost some to predators.
I love my birds and would like to raise quail also.

I got the Brinsea mini 2 advance.
I’m not apposed to getting a bigger one down the line, especially if it works out well. Iv got 5 chicken eggs in there now that I took from a hen that had been setting for a good bit as she will let the eggs die for the first one that hatches, usually that’s what happens anyway.
I want to get some more peacocks but I don’t think this incu is big enough for those. But it will work with quail.
We’ll see how things play out, I’m a super busy person and don’t want to bite off more than I can chew.
I do have a question, and that is ,,, I can hear the babies chirping in the egg. I didn’t realize they would do that, but now I’m wondering how long until hatching once you can hear that?
Coyotes, possum and Raccoons, and Owls have been my nemesis.
And Iv trapped and done everything I can think of to protect them. I like to let them free range but that’s when they get attacked usually.

byc-poultry-family.png

hello-smiley.gif
How exciting to be incubating your own eggs! I don't know much about that myself, but you could start a new thread with your questions here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/incubating-hatching-eggs.5/

I like to free range my birds too, and this article has some tips that may give you some ideas that can help your birds during free ranging time:
Key Points to Successful Free Ranging
or if you'd rather not...
Keeping Chickens Without Free Ranging

There's also lots of folks here who have successfully dealt with a number of different predators. You can take a look in the predators forum or ask more questions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/predators-and-pests.13/

Hope you enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom