1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Mallard babies hatched!-Photos

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jun 10, 2011.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    A little over a month ago the storms knocked my Clematis Vine over in the front yard. One of my Mallard Hens built a nest under there and today brought her babies out for the first time.

Here they are under the plum tree in the front yard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I started herding them to the duckpen and they needed to stop and rest on the way LOL
    [​IMG]

almost at the duckpen. I managed to herd them all into the pen, then scooped the babies up in my hands and had to catch Mamma ..put them all in the baby proof duck house..whew what a job!
    [​IMG]

Here they are settled into the duckhouse
    [​IMG]

Scrappy my Pekin Gal has a Mallard egg under her that is pipped, she hatched her first ever baby (her egg) on the 7th and it's an adorable Pekin/Mallard mix.
    [​IMG]

Michelle

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    So CUTE!!!!![​IMG]:lovewISH I HAD A PEKIN MALLARD MIX![​IMG]:drool

3. shaylabailey

shaylabailey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Adorable!
    And the Pekin/mallard mix is beautiful! Can't wait to see what he/she would look like grown! [​IMG]

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Aww, the pekin/mallard I hatched as a kid was the sweetest duck ever. I won the 4H pet show with him twice! And I have no idea why, but he was black and white. Yours looks just like him! Congrats!

5. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Awww, precious! Congrats.

You're brave. I have to work myself up to dealing my mama and babies. She's so mean! That and I feel like a monster when I am all done moving them, etc. because I have had to traumatize them. Been trying to find a way to bond with the babies, but they aren't interested. Sigh....

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so precious! good job at getting them all safely secured.

7. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well I had to seperate LilBit (mallard mamma) and her babies from Scrappy (Pekin mamma) and her baby. Scrappy's baby wandered over to the mallard ducklings, Lilbit picked her up by the head and flung her..my heart was in my throat! Within seconds one of the mallard babies wandered up to Scrappy and she flung it across the house. Both babies are ok but were pretty scared for a few minutes. I grabbed a dog carrier, pushed it up to the door and then stuck a long stick into the house and got Lilbit and her 8 babies into the dog carrier...took them and put them in my Nursery coop that I use for baby chickens since it's the only other baby proof house I have.

One of the mallard eggs under Scrappy (pekin hen) hatched a little while ago so now Scrappy's little tuxedo looking baby will have a sibling to play with LOL

I'm keeping Scrappy's little pekin/mallard baby since it's her first but I'm giving all of the pure Mallards to a friend of our's.

*aduckstolemyheart* I handle my ducks daily, probably a few dozen times a day so they're quite used to my hands getting in their business LOL My Mallard gals never did warm up to me but they do put up with me, they screech a bit but have never tried to grab my hands or my face. Scrappy is a whole different story, I hatched her in the house and raised her inside the first three months, she's just always thought she was my kid. She lets me handle her eggs, handle her babies, she even snuggles on my lap. If shes walking along in front of me and I decide I want to pick her up I just hold my hand up in the air above her head and say Scrappy stop and she does. For some reason she is allowing all of my 12 week old scovies get up close to her and she doesn't fuss a bit, they've gotten into the habit of laying up against her house and talking to her and she loves it. This morning I let her out for a swim in the pool, she jumped in the pool followed by the baby and then the scovies (the scovies are as big as her and she didn't mind them being in there with the baby). When Scrappy and the baby went back into their house one of my scovies (Bleenie) followed and Scrappy was fine with it but let a Mallard gal go in there and she runs her out LOL Before Scrappy's eggs started hatching she'd let the scovies all sleep with her at night, right beside her nest with no complaints or fighting.

I love that I can crawl into both duck houses and visit my ducks...it's even more fun when there are babies to get acquainted with :) Of course my Husband thinks I'm nuts!

Michelle

8. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    We handled all of ours from day one too, and my Pekin is much nicer about it, and never hisses or gets angry. Izzy however, we got when she was already an adult, and she wasn't really handled often. I earned her trust enough that she on a rare occasion will eat from my hand if I have peas, but that's about it. Add to that her fierce mothering instinct and it's not been pretty. lol The babies, believe it or not are a lot less worried about us than she is. But we put our hands into the pen, she goes crazy, which in turn causes the ducklings to panic. Sigh...

I guess that's the hazard in getting ducks as adults, rather than babies. I am sure the experience with my Pekin hen will be much much more pleasant.

Lucky you for having such a nice mama hen!

9. ericdc

ericdc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    good looking mallard hen.

10. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Cute ducklings! [​IMG] Are they mallard-pekin mix or are they mallards? How old is your hen? She looks like a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by