1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new mama and peeps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamabird, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    I have a Buff Orp with 5 - 2 day old chicks. Right now, we have moved mama to the floor of the coop with the peeps. She is protective, fluffing up and "growling" but is in the coop with many other hens who are very curious about the peeps (a few are trying to peck at peeps if given a chance). My question - do I take the peeps and put them into a brooder? Or do I assume that mama will take care of things? I have heard things both ways. One person says that it is best if they stay w/mama and that they have never had trouble with other hens bothering peeps. Another person says that the hens will kill the peeps if given a chance. All the peeps look great and are starting to explore a little. Everyone is free range but are locked in at night.

Any suggestions for a newbie?

2. johnny_smith09

johnny_smith09 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2007
    Norfork, AR
    it would be smart to put them in a cage away from the other chickens. if you dont, the chickens will continue to peck when they get chance even if they get it from the mama. you can move them to a brooder but it will be taking them from their mom (you will have to separate them later anyway at about 6 wks).

3. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Seperate the mama hen and chicks from the rest of the flock, so that she can care for them without the chicks being harassed by the rest of the flock.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree with Scott.....seperate momma AND babies from the rest of the flock. Maybe you have a large dog kennel/crate? They would be safe in there. Make sure you give them feed and water....and maybe you can let momma and the babies roam the yard....without the others....if its warm enough. Good luck! Ohhh, and I would love to see pics.... [​IMG] I have 18 Buff orps....5 weeks old. First time for this breed for me.

5. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    I do have a large dog crate, but my Lab is in heat, so we are using it in the house for her! I can put mama and peeps in our toolhouse which is adjacent to the coop, just need to get an area ready. Right now she is in the coop, on a floor nest that is inaccessable from 3 sides. At least that way she can see things coming! I'll get her moved today. How long before peeps start wandering...or do they usually stay close to mama? I've raised labs for years, and successfully raised 33 out of 33 McMurry purchased birds - but I'm a first time mama "mama"[​IMG]

The eggs she hatched were an assortment - 2 green eggs, 2 brown eggs and a white. We have 41 total birds (counting the peeps) - Buff Orps, Wh. Leghorns, Wh. Rocks, Barred Rocks, Blk. 'Lorps, Buff Minorcas, RIR, Aracaunas, and a Silver Penciled Wy. Roo'. It's a colorful variety, but the Buffs are my favorite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by