New Mama Dog Attack!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shellybean40, Sep 17, 2011.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    My new neighbors dog got my new Mama and she has no butt feathers left and several puncture wounds. I found all of her chicks, cleaned the wounds, and put antibiotic on them and blue cote. She is in her hutch with her babies, should I treat her with some form of antibiotic? I guess I cannot let out my chickens anymore. [​IMG]

2. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Anyone????

3. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Hi,

You might want to get some of that purple spray from the feed store. It works really well with chickens, and if keeps other chickens from pecking the wound. So sorry, but glad it wasn't fatal. Does your area have a leash law? I know you want to be on good terms with new neighbors, but..........

Deb

4. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I would if she has punctures. I'd call the vet and ask which one before picking the wrong one.

5. shellybean40

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    yes, we have leash laws. Unfortunately, I do not have a fence, and it has not been aproblem up to now. My neighbors keep their dogs in their homes and yards. This is a new neighbor who has a house sitter, she was really nice and apologetic, but if looks could kill, she would be dead in my yard. I told her her darn dog just attacked a Mama hen and now her babies were in danger. I hope I made her feel terrible. I will keep them up from now on. Maybe even find new homes for all of them. I am do down and just need time to process all of this.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Call animal control and make a report. I keep my girls in the coop and run most of the day due to dogs and hawks. I supervise their free ranging, but of course they want to be free all day.

7. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    There is nothing better to disinfect wounds than salty water so I would definitely give them a bathe with a warm mild solution. A really good systemic antibiotic for chickens is Enrofloxacin (marketed in the UK as Bayril by Bayer). You can just add this to her drinking water or administer it concentrated via syringe if it's easier. It's a prescription only drug over here but I am not sure of your pharmaceutical licencing laws over there so you may be able to buy it over the counter. It's definitely worth keeping in stock for future use too. Good luck.

8. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    Has anyone ever used a stock guardian breed like an Anatolian to guard their chickens? That would keep the stray/neighbor dogs away! So sorry to hear about your mama hen, I hope she's feeling better.

Quote:When I read this suggestion, I couldn't help but think, "ooooo, pre-brined!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by