New mama freaking out - still need advice please!

It’s great when they hatch their own! They do it all. Only one time have I ever had a pullet need a little help. But she’s my special girl who’s not the sharpest tool. The rest are amazing. I learned most of what I know from watching the hens. Even first time mamas. Where in Wisconsin are you. I’m in Waukesha county.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I think my post got lost in the masses and I had about given up. We're on week two and you guys were right; they're doing great! In case anyone else is in the same situation, or just curous, here's what's happened since:

Henrietta stayed in the box with the chicks for the first 2 full days but the morning of the third, she led the chicklets out like she was on a mission. It was a little chilly that morning (and I was being a helicopter grandma) and it looked like the chicks were wanting to huddle under her in the cold/damp grass, so I shoo'd them back in the coop and closed it for a few hours until it was warmer/drier. They spend the rest of that day, and every since, outside just doing their thing. I saw one of the chicklets slurp down a worm on their first day out!

Henrietta is a good and (I think) happy mama. She's has chased off curious cats, dogs, roosters, and turkeys. She makes the same "hey, get your food here!" clucks that the roosters do when she I give her "treats" (dandilion stems and chick starter feed). They're pretty skittish yet, but I can handle them and Henrietta doesn't mind. She's slowly taken them further from the coop and now they make round of the whole (roughly 1/3 acre) yard. I love watching them take dust baths. Most like it but one looks mildly disgusted the whole time :lol:

I had one scare this weekend when Henrietta took them out first and then the turkey's did their morning race across the yard and one full-on stepped on one of the chickets. I was sure that the poor little think was going to be totally splat, but it was fine! I've been watching closely and there no sign anything happened. So the good part of that is that one of my chicklets has a name now: Squish.

This afternoon it was drizzling and I saw Henrietta under a bush and asked where her chicklets were and suddenly little yellow faces popped out from under each of her wings and one from her butt-fluff. Cutest frelling thing I've ever seen! I don't have my phone on me at the moment, but I'll post a few update pics tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you everyone!

Thank you everyone for your replies! I think my post got lost in the masses and I had about given up. We're on week two and you guys were right; they're doing great! In case anyone else is in the same situation, or just curous, here's what's happened since:

Henrietta stayed in the box with the chicks for the first 2 full days but the morning of the third, she led the chicklets out like she was on a mission. It was a little chilly that morning (and I was being a helicopter grandma) and it looked like the chicks were wanting to huddle under her in the cold/damp grass, so I shoo'd them back in the coop and closed it for a few hours until it was warmer/drier. They spend the rest of that day, and every since, outside just doing their thing. I saw one of the chicklets slurp down a worm on their first day out!

Henrietta is a good and (I think) happy mama. She's has chased off curious cats, dogs, roosters, and turkeys. She makes the same "hey, get your food here!" clucks that the roosters do when she I give her "treats" (dandilion stems and chick starter feed). They're pretty skittish yet, but I can handle them and Henrietta doesn't mind. She's slowly taken them further from the coop and now they make round of the whole (roughly 1/3 acre) yard. I love watching them take dust baths. Most like it but one looks mildly disgusted the whole time :lol:

I had one scare this weekend when Henrietta took them out first and then the turkey's did their morning race across the yard and one full-on stepped on one of the chickets. I was sure that the poor little think was going to be totally splat, but it was fine! I've been watching closely and there no sign anything happened. So the good part of that is that one of my chicklets has a name now: Squish.

This afternoon it was drizzling and I saw Henrietta under a bush and asked where her chicklets were and suddenly little yellow faces popped out from under each of her wings and one from her butt-fluff. Cutest frelling thing I've ever seen! I don't have my phone on me at the moment, but I'll post a few update pics tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you everyone!

My first batch of brooder chicks was out of drafts, perfectly temperate, clean.

If something happens where I don’t have a broody, they’re going in the run on dirt with a heat plate. Their spot will be open to them so they can come out to interact with the big ones, and retreat to their safe spot if needed. They’ll get a shovel of 3/4 minus driveway gravel and eat what everyone else does.

Chicks are tough. Keep them dry, provide a place to get them warm. It’s literally all they need.

It’s great when they hatch their own! They do it all. Only one time have I ever had a pullet need a little help. But she’s my special girl who’s not the sharpest tool. The rest are amazing. I learned most of what I know from watching the hens. Even first time mamas. Where in Wisconsin are you. I’m in Waukesha county.
I’m in Washington county, nice to meet you!

F1F5FE3E-9474-4E7E-BFB8-927FC808F500.jpeg
20DA4B7D-6945-4862-BDF2-638C92CE0AB3.jpeg
97BD84AC-471F-4DA3-B8D4-97C1BF2A7113.jpeg
00E9E530-7876-42D8-A386-EB97A27E4E09.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom