new mama of 8 little ladys!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mama n her peeps, Jun 30, 2010.

1. mama n her peeps

mama n her peeps Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    new to byc and have recently adopted 8 little ladys 4 barred rocks 2 auracaunas and 2 buff orpingtons they are around 5 weeks and are the sweetest things ever very friendly little bunch any tips on keeping these little ladys happy what should i be feeding them beside medicated chick food? and when should they graduate from the chick food? they are lving in a chicken coop im using hay for their litter i was told they need some rocks or something in their to help them produce ggs is this true? and what about the oyster shells? any advice you have i would love to hear it thanx a bunch!

2. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi and welcome to the world of chickens:lol: I love all the breeds you have! Medicated chick feed is really all they need for now. If you feed treats then they need chick grit. You can find this at the feed store or a Tractor Supply if you have one. When they are of laying age then you will need oyster shell. This helps the shell to be harder. No need for it now though.

3. mama n her peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    thanx a bunch they are such friendly little ladys always run up to me when i greet them just making sure they are getting everything they need about how many more weeks do they need to be on the chick starter? and whne is a good age to start feeding them treats? and what is not ok to feed chickens? what age do they start laying eggs? is there something i need for them to make eggs or is it a natural instinct ? i dont have a roo and for now dont want one they will lay eggs even if there isnt a roo present right? we live in wisconsin and it gets rather cold here in the winter they have an insulated coop but when will i need to get them a heater if they even need one? how often do i need to clean out their litter? like i said new this and coulse use all they help you can give !

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

Feed, fresh water, pine shavings for bedding, and they're fine. (Make sure it's not cedar shavings, those are bad for birds.) They don't need grit whilst they're on commercial feed only. If you give them treats, they will need some grit, but you can use plain old construction sand for that, if you wish! Some folks feed chick starter until they're 8 weeks old, then change to "grower/finisher" feed such as Purina FlockRaiser. Other folks feed chick starter all the way up until the pullets lay eggs; it's personal choice. You should NOT give them crushed oyster shell or layer feed until they actually start to lay eggs. Certainly not until they are 18 or 20 weeks old, or start to lay eggs - whichever comes first. Calcium in layer feed and oyster shell is bad for young chickens not yet laying eggs.

Talk to them, develop a "call" for them, when you go out to feed them or give them treats, so they associate that with you. Mine is pretty silly, but I was so excited when I got my first chicks, I would always say, "Chickens! I have chickens!" when I went out to feed them. I still do it - they will come from everywhere (I let them free range) when they hear that. Normal people usually just say, "Chick, chick chick!"

You will learn their personalities and be amazed at how different each chicken is from another. They are so calming to listen to throughout the day, with their satisfied cluckings. And so much fun to watch! I put a chair in the chicken run and will sit out there and just watch them, with my drink and a book. They'll gather around, come to tell you chicken stories, maybe even jump into your lap. And you got some really pretty breeds!

5. mama n her peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    ok so i should be using shavings right now they have hay because thats what the feed mill said would be ok they also carry the shavings but they said it didnt really matter is this correct? how do i post a pic on here of my little ladies? when can they free range i dont want them to run away ? i have a fenched in garden area that i have a few veggies growing in would it be ok to let them run around with my veggies? their coop is rather large you could park a car or 2 in their so they have plenty of room i do want them to roam around outside though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by