New Mama rejected new babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wbruder17, Feb 19, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have a Mama silkie. She has one chick she hatched on her own and one "replacement" that I slid under her as I took a nonviable egg out. She accepted both chicks as her own although neither were from her eggs. Cool![​IMG]

I triwd to give her 2 banty 2 day old chicks and she plumb out rejected them. Bummer! But they are in their own enclosure and warm and cozy. I just wish they could have a Mama. Guess she's over the new baby syndrome and just wants to raise the biddies she has.

No big worry....the littluns will be fine.

2. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    You can get her to take them if you do it right, this is what my mom does. Take the chicks she has accepted from her, and get her upset, ready to fight for them. Then give her the chicks you want her to adopt first, after she takes them, give her back her other babies. The mothering instinct is strong, she will take them. I grew up on a farm and had chickens most of my life. I haven't had them for several years, I just didn't replenish my flock the last time a dog got them, I was to busy to bother at the time.

I am afraid life did this kind of thing to my little silkie hen this week. My daughter and I are just starting a flock of chickens, so this hen is the only mature chicken on our place right now. Her chicks were only a day old, and my own dog ate through the fence to get at the babies, she killed all three, but I got there in time to save the momma. This hen has been setting for 7 weeks, I bought her from a lady because she was sooo broody and kept stealing all the eggs the other hens were laying, so the eggs in the nest all had staggered hatch days. The previous owner took most of the eggs without candling and popped them in the incubator, leaving the hen just a few. I came to get some of the chicks to keep a lone chick I hatched in my incubator company, and came home with the hen and the nest she was on, as well. The last 3 eggs hatched a couple of days ago, and were promptly killed by the dog. The hen went back to acting broody and just sitting on an empty nest, poor thing, so I put her in with the chicks I am brooding in the house. They were terrified of her for the first couple of minutes, but she won them over within minutes.. This picture is her with the babies in the brooder about 30 minutes after I put them together. Sweet! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by