New Mama to 3 ducklings and Adult duck

Apr 6, 2018
Hello! I am Bella and have 4 wonderful ducks. I started raising my Adult duck Patch last year, she is a black swedish. We bought two of them at that time and one passed away right as they where getting there feathers. In the rural community I live in, no one was selling ducks at the time when the one passed. We cant even get ducks delivered out her because everything goes thru the post office. We dont even have fedex or ups because our house adresses are not vaild. So Patch was raised by herself (i thought she was a Drake for so long until 2 weeks ago when she started laying eggs). Her only companions where the cats and dogs! Who she loves so much. The cats where kittens when we got her and they grew together. On hot summer days they would lay by her pull and she would curl up with them. They have a lasting friendship. I knew though that she needed some of her own kind to be the best duck she could be. She loves her treats and loves to dive to get them in her pool. Shes not to happy that winter hit so hard that it froze her pool! So being the good mama i am, i started bring her inside to swim in the bathtub, and of course she loves it. Ive noticed people saying that ducks dont love to swim but Patch loves it. She cant get enough of the water. She was very unhappy in her little plastic pond so we bought her a large pool eight feet around and three feet deep. She was in heaven and refused to leave lol.
SO now a year later, when the stores are selling ducks and chicks again, I picked some up. Three lovely little blue swedish to join her. These ducklings are about a week old, they too enjoy there short times in the water (i fill up the kitchen sink or the tub with just enough water to get their little feet wet and they try to jet through it, almost like frogs! Its adorable. Even have videos of it.
Myself and my SO have 4 dogs, 10 cats(with more on the way) and 3 lovely beautiful chicks. The chickens are easy to take care XP. But sadly, they and Patch dont get along at all. We tried to get them together so that Patch wouldn't be alone but they attacked each other! Patch didnt even have her feathers fully in yet but she was pecking them off the chickens and they where pecking at her. SO that didnt work either!
Long story short, Patch has pretty much been a loner all her life, minus the dogs and cats. As she got bigger and older though our dogs have decided she is prey. Our Labs are bird dogs, though they dont try to go after her often, the last time she escaped her enclosure they did nibble on her a bit to much.
I found this site about a year ago, and have learned so much from it! I decided it was time to make a user account and get some advice from other Duck Mamas and Papas!

JPEG_20180325_105419.jpg

:welcome

Loved your intro! It would be fun to see a photo of Patch, it sounds like she's quite the girl, lol.

In case you haven't found it yet, here's a link to take you to the Duck forum, lots of nice duck members there:
Ducks

Thanks for joining us!
Here she is^^

Patch is beautiful - have you given any thought to having her as a house pet- with pool privileges ? Check out "show us your house ducks." some folks even have a house goose or two but, they take up alot of room

G'Day from down under Bella :frowWelcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are some down the bottom of the page which are duck specific.

Patch is adorable! If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of her and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Back
Top Bottom