New mama

Apr 29, 2019
Hello all! I just purchased my 7 chicks yesterday. This is my first time raising chickens and I went with Rhode Island Reds. I made this based on what I read as far as good egg production, hardy birds, friendly disposition. I am so nervous! I have them in a trough lined with pellets. Heat lamp on one end and I’m trying to keep it between 90-95 using my thermometer. On the other end I have starter and water in mason jar dishes and raised on a piece of wood.
Unfortunately today I noticed 2 chicks with pasty butt. They’re cleaned now and I’ve been doing a lot of research.
I’ve also been trying to let my dogs sniff them so everyone becomes comfortable.
If you have any advice or recommendations, I’d appreciate it!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Check them daily for pasty butt. Watch them and listen to them. They will let you know if they are too hot or too cold. It helps to have the cooler end of the brooder significantly cooler. I brood in a built in brooder in my coop. The chicks were tearing around the brooder this morning and it was 28 degrees F away from their brooder plate.
You will want to put some kind of cover over the trough soon as they will start flying out as soon as they can. My current brood is 1 week old today and they are already flying on top of their brooder plate.

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Lower your temperature a little.
Too hot can cause pasty butts.
I'd lower it down to 85.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site (how to upload photos too):

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<

BYC has an APP!

Back
Top Bottom