New Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jashdon, May 3, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    We brought home a few Marans chickens today. Two pullets and a cockerel. They seem very friendly and tame. Can't wait to start getting those dark eggs.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    What did you get? Cuckoo, Copper black, black, blue???? I am hoping to get some soon... but looking for the right ones [​IMG]

Good luck with your new chickens! I'd love to see pics of them! [​IMG]

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I love marans. They are my favorite, very docile chickens and the dark egg color will change within the chickens cycle.

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    What var. of Marans did you get? Where are our pictures??lol

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I love my two marans hens and even though mine are from a hatchery their eggs are so beautiful.
    Good luck with you new marans chicks,

Henry

6. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    I think they are Cuckoo Marans. They look similar to our Barred Rocks. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. By the time we got home with them it was starting to get dark and I spent the remaining daylight getting them situated and making sure our little RIR cockerel (we just figured out the lettle devil is a roo) wasn't too mean to them. He started doing the thing where they flap up in the air and try to stick things with their spurs, only he doesn't really have them yet. Hopefully he mellows out a bit...

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  7. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    ok, here are the pictures of our new Marans.

[​IMG]

One of the pullets is standing above the cokerel. It almost seems like the pullets are watching over the roo sometimes.

[​IMG]

Here is the other pullet. She is more independant and is integrating with the other chickens a bit more.

8. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I got Marans too! Mine are Cuckoo. We got eight pullets from the feed store. I've not had this breed before. Mine seem a bit hyper. What is the breed generally like?
    Rachel

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Mine are very calm and laid back....both hens and roos.

10. Jashdon

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    We've only had ours for two days but they seem very laid back. In fact the cockerel seems more doclie that the pullets. He has feathers on the outside of his leggs and is very striking. I am looking foreword to hatching some eggs and increasing the amount of Marans we have. They seem like a very nice breed to have around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by