New Massive Egg Production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by J&D Chickens, Jan 12, 2011.

1. J&D Chickens

J&D Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Our 16 chickens arrived in mid April 2010 and were 2 days old. They started laying their first eggs the end of July, beginning of August. For a while we got 2, then it progressed to 5, then 10 and so on. By the end of summer, they were producing 8 to 9 a day. This is an extremely cold winter for the South (as you've probably seen on tv) and we have 2 red heat lamps in the coop. This past weekend we received way more eggs than I ever thought we would. We collect our eggs about once every 2 to 3 days. Friday (after 2.5 days, we collected 39 eggs and Monday night we collected 29 eggs. This just blew our mind. [​IMG] Tonight my husband collected the eggs and it's about 30. Now, I'm not really complaining about the eggs since I do sell them to my friends at work but is this normal?

I thought that chickens slowed down in the winter time for 2 reasons....#1 less day light, #2 colder temps.

I'm guessing that this is either not true, or they really realy love the heat lamps.

Thoughts???

Friday
    [​IMG]

Monday
    [​IMG]

2. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    [​IMG] enjoy those eggs!! [​IMG]

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I am amazed at your girls proficiency!! I have 12 from about the same timeframe, but they did not lay until early fall and since the winter began, eggs have dwindled to 3 every week! I believe it is the lost light of shorter days, but it could be warmth. I have no additional light in the coop. I have heard thru several posters on BYC that red pepper added to feed can help increase egg production. Others say that is an old wives tale without merit. You clearly have solved the poor laying in winter problem!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

With the heat lamp, your chickens aren't getting either less light nor colder temps. Thus, the extreme egg production.

The vast majority of us do not use supplemental heat in the winter. We have raisers here that live in Maine, Montana, Canada, Alaska and everywhere in between. I use no heat and no light at night. We have over night temps as low as -10. They do fine. No frost bite. Dry conditions are much more important than the heat issue. Chickens have feathers that they adjust to the weather. Wild birds do fine out in the forest, right?

Anyhow, the main reason I do not push the heat lamp is the extreme fire hazard. Also, while I do have a small light for 12 hours of constant light, it is on a timer. I want my hens to sleep well and that means total darkness. My production suffers a bit in the winter, but that's OK. These hens only have so many eggs in them, for a life time. I don't need to push them that hard in the winter when they need to use some of their caloric energy for keeping warm. Best regards,

5. J&D Chickens

Jun 10, 2010
    Thanks for the comments.

We have the heat lamps on a switch so we can turn them on and off as needed. They do not run 24/7. Only on the nights that it's really cold. We have a 6' x 8' with 10' tall at the peak. In the center of the cathedral ceiling, we have installed 2 light fixture sockets as the chicken coop has power. We just replaced the two normal bulbs in the ceiling with heat lamp bulbs. [​IMG]

**There are also two electrical outlets in the coop, you know, in case they need to charge their cell phones or ipods** [​IMG]

I see the thought about them only producing so many eggs in their lifetime, but that's not an issue for us as we also use them for food. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    J&D Chickens :

**There are also two electrical outlets in the coop, you know, in case they need to charge their cell phones or ipods** [​IMG]

I see the thought about them only producing so many eggs in their lifetime, but that's not an issue for us as we also use them for food. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/60200_1271627977453.jpg

[​IMG] Cell phones and Ipods, [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. J&D Chickens

Jun 10, 2010
    Quote:My husband put those in out there. I have no idea what they are used for. Haha.

8. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    First question Why do you gather very two or three days? I gather three or four times a day. Second if you divide the 39 gathred on friday thats only 15 eggs aday. Thats greast for 16 chickens. They must really like the heat lamps. I have a flood light in my coops because when I placed a heat lamp they droped production in half from 24 a day to about 5 to 10 a day. These are young brids. only about 7 months old. They are starting to pick up again now. Give your hens a big hug and says thanks.

9. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Okay can't laugh anymore, gonna pee my pants after this one and the meth-lab pic in another post.[​IMG]

10. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Some of you need to go to an egg farm and see how they do it. Some of those chickens lay twice a day. The temp is controlled and the lights are on 24/7. They feed Hi protien food along with all kinds of suppliments to help egg production "Great egg production."

Now my job as a young man was to go around to the pens and drag the dead chicken out that had laid itself to death and replace it with a live one. Some of these chickens never make a year. The one's that do are replaced and sold to some unsuspecting beginner who wonders what they are donig wrong because "These big time layers won't lay. They are worn out and it could take a year of normal life to ever get them back in shape if they ever do..

Forced labor always shortens the life of the laborer

Oh someone said in this thread that chickens feathers adjust to the cold. So what happens to your nice warm cozy chickens with the lamp when the power goes off.
    I have 45 8 week old chickens living in the pen outside with windbreaks and a covered roost. It has been under 15 degrees f for the last 2 days and no dead chickens. I put them out there at 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by