New member - 1' long worm (or worse) hanging out of vent

BigChickenDinner

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2022
Hello, I'm a new member and this is first-time post. We let our 6, fenced chickens free-range about 30 minutes before sunset. Our Rhode Island Red is at the top of the pecking order. She is normally one of the first ones to enter the coop. Not tonight. Just before dark, as she was about to ascend the ramp, she froze in place for 15 minutes +. When I turned on the flashlight, I saw what seemed like her intestinal tract (a worm?) hanging from her vent. The vent itself looks OK. She reluctantly climbed the ramp and hopped on the roosting bar. Please offer your assistance. 20221010_193740.jpg 20221010_193718.jpg 20221010_193708.jpg 20221010_193536.jpg

Welcome To BYC

Looks like an egg membrane.
Please go out there and assist her. Gently pull, she will push and contract, pull when she pushes. Hopefully she will be able to expel it with your help.

Do look to see if there's yolk or albumen (egg white) leaking out of the vent once you help her remove the membrane.
Do give her extra calcium tonight if possible and once daily for several days. Calcium Citrate with D3 is best to give, but you can give TUMS in a pinch.

Taking her aside after you have helped her out, see if she's thirsty. Hydration is very important.

Welcome To BYC

Looks like an egg membrane.
Please go out there and assist her. Gently pull, she will push and contract, pull when she pushes. Hopefully she will be able to expel it with your help.

Do look to see if there's yolk or albumen (egg white) leaking out of the vent once you help her remove the membrane.
Do give her extra calcium tonight if possible and once daily for several days. Calcium Citrate with D3 is best to give, but you can give TUMS in a pinch.

Taking her aside after you have helped her out, see if she's thirsty. Hydration is very important.
X2

Thank you for the quick reply. She was on the roosting bar, had ejected the albumin and her behavior seemed normal. No assistance was necessary. She just wanted to sleep and had no interest in Tumson things. I will keep on eye on her.
One que: how do I get her to eat Tums? Is it a treat that they love?

Attachments

• 20221010_232203.jpg
    20221010_232203.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20221010_232224.jpg
    20221010_232224.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 3
Just hold her in your arm against your body like a football, pull down gently on her wattles with the hand you're holding her with, which will cause her to open her beak, and with the other hand pop the Tums in her beak. She will swallow it. No problem.

Or wrap her in a towel and get someone to hold her for you.

Thank you for the quick reply. She was on the roosting bar, had ejected the albumin and her behavior seemed normal. No assistance was necessary. She just wanted to sleep and had no interest in Tumson things. I will keep on eye on her.
One que: how do I get her to eat Tums? Is it a treat that they love?
Right, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.

Hopefully she's acting normal again, but I'd try to get Calcium Citrate when you can and give her that for a few days.
The leakage of albumen and/or yolk or what it looks like in the photo, may set her up for infection. Having an antibiotic on hand is a good idea. Amoxicillin can be used.

Back
Top Bottom