New member - 1st time coop owner - no hens yet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by corgimom, Jun 27, 2010.

1. corgimom

corgimom Hatching

Jun 27, 2010
    Ostrander
    Hello! Love this site. Just picked up my coop yesterday. I have never raised chickens. I am a registered veterinary technician in Ohio. I live with my husband, 4 dogs and 2 cats.

I research everything before I own it. Therefore, although I know what I would like to do, I am going to learn, learn, learn before I purchase my chickens. I have a 6x6 amish built coop. I am going to attach an enclosed run. The coop sits within my 1 acre fenced lot but I know there will be predators - in particular raccoons constantly trying to invade. So I am open to any and all suggestions regarding predator proofing. Fortunately I have at least 3 neighbors who have raised chickens or had coops in the past. I am able to learn a great deal from them. However, I know there is so much more to learn.

I ultimately hope to have 3-4 hens NO ROOSTER!!

Looking forward to researching this forum frequently.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. thefamilyflock

thefamilyflock Songster

Mar 21, 2010
    East Granby CT
    [​IMG] from ct!

3. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi Corgimom! Welcome to BYC! Lots to learn here. The "search" button is your friend LOL

4. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Songster

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] from So Cal. A year ago I too was a search and plan-ohlic. I wanted good egg layers and friendly girls for my small back yard. I am so happy w/ my 2 BOs and 1 BR. Good luck- you are in for so much fun!
    Just noticed- 2 boxer people in a row- hee hee

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  5. Chickaholic

Chickaholic Songster

Apr 21, 2010
    Snohomish, Wa
    [​IMG] from Washington!!

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hi corgimom, so glad you joined us!

Keep us posted with lots of stories and pics as you progress with your soon-to-be flock. Any questions, we're here to help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by