New-member & 3 week old chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chic-a-deee, Sep 27, 2011.

1. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi. Im in Australia, NSW. I'm happy to be here to talk about the cuteness of these adorable
    little animals. Im in my 40's but have wanted chickens since I was a little girl.
    I got some gorgeous Bantam chicks when they were 3 days old.
    They are now 3 weeks old. I have a great chook pen, but they are still inside with us, in a box
    with the light etc. Im turning it off for 3 hrs per day now. They huddle together & sleep while
    the light is off.
    Im not sure of the rate of growth they are supposed to have as me & my children are new to
    the chicken scene!! But they are showing new feather growth & losing alot of new-hatched fluff.

When do they lose their little cheep noise to the adult chicken noise??

I was told to put them in the coop when they are 6 weeks old?? We had a trial visit to the coop
    & the little darlings just stood at the door the whole time & didnt venture far from us at all.

I will put them in the coop via gradual visits. Its still too cold here in Australia to have them outside.

I have them on the baby food at the moment. About two of the chicks have runny, brown poop. Is
    that normal? I saw some red, mucous in one of the chicks runny poop. They appear healthy, alert,
    & active.
    I'd upload some pics but dont know how???

Im not too concerned if they dont produce eggs, as we are having them purely as pets to enjoy & raise.
    I'll be interested in the food they need after 6 weeks of age & what vege scraps I can start to give them?
    I know about grit & that is already in the coop awaiting their arrival...& they can also have dirt baths in it.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! I would definitely repost this in the RAISING BABY CHICKS section for best results. I am sure someone will have the answers you need. [​IMG]

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello and [​IMG], chic-a-deee! Great to have you aboard! [​IMG] Lots of chicken smarts floating around here so ask any questions you might have. Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Dapplepony

Dapplepony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Runny brown poop is fine. If you don't like it, plain yogurt will make it go away.

As soon as you have enough posts you will be able to post pictures.

I think there's a thread on what veggies are good (or not) for chickens. Ours love carrots, apples, broccoli, etc...

Oh, and [​IMG] !

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Glad you are here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by