New Member - Alabama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hcmiller, Dec 11, 2016.

1. hcmiller

hcmiller New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    Hi friends! My name is Heather and I grew up in the middle of nowhereland Alabama raising free range chickens. I am now grown, married, have a baby and live batches of chickens since I built my coop. I have been alarmed at the number of coyotes here, one of which literally walked up and grabbed one of my babies when I was less than 10 feet away. I have learned that I just needed to keep them contained in a large run and that growing up with chickens is not as helpful as I thought when living in a different zip code. I am now experiencing a whole new realm of issues like broody hens (what the?!?), cleaning coops (when I say we had free range chickens, I mean it), buying feed rather than making my own (I have a baby now...I will eventually get there I suppose), and growing so attached to my chickies that I simply cannot butcher them as we did when I was a child (can I hear an amen?). I love this resource and have used it many times. I have a super broody hen who is to the point of being unhealthy and finally decided to make my relationship with backyard chickens official!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Heather. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. There are ways to break a broody but, if they are so inclined, they will go right back and try again. If you give her a fertile egg or two maybe that will make her happy for awhile.

3. hcmiller

hcmiller New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    THANK YOU! Is it safe to hatch eggs right now in the winter? I mean, I know that growing up our chickens hatched eggs all during the year; I suppose it would be no different here, right?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under hcmiller [​IMG] Welcome!

Yep, definitely no eating of the feathered princesses here [​IMG]

It sounds like your broody has been broody for a while now; it may not be a good idea to give her fertile eggs as she may stick it out for the additional 21 days; that and raising the little ones will be more of a burden on her health. If it was me, I would consider breaking her this time around, build her condition back up and may be let her have a hatch in the Spring.

For me, the quickest and easiest method for breaking a broody is the crate method.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello, Heather and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. There should be no problem in hatching chicks under a broody hen - she will keep them warm without any problems.

Best wishes
    CT

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Heather, and welcome to BYC!

7. hcmiller

hcmiller New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks y'all! I took her out today and she ate and drank some water. I will check on her in the morning and take her out again. Maybe do that everyday for a few days and if not better in a week try crating. It will take me that long or better to build something anyway.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey Heather

If you do not have a crate are you able to block off the nest boxes or do you have too many hens wanting to use them?

Sometimes, with my broodies, if they are only semi-serious, I block off the nest boxes once everyone has finished for the day.

Another option is to may be close off a part of the run with her in it so she can not get to the nest box?

While the crate with the air flow and no ability to get too snugly seems to work best; just keeping her out of a nest may also work.

If you can, do not let her sleep in the nest box; popping her on the roost after dark should help also.

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

10. hcmiller

hcmiller New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    Awesome!! Thanks so much! I am able to do all those things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by